YouTube releasing a TikTok competitor by end of 2020

Thoughts on this in terms of competing with Tiktok and Byte? I wonder how this will play out. They certainly have the financial backing and creative talent to try.

3 Likes

I’m sure a lot of tiktok users will transition over to shorts

Usually the problem with big tech companies is that they have the money and the talent but that doesn’t always translate to the right execution.

However, I think it’s really cool that YouTube is trying to make their own platform from the ground up rather than just buying another company. More competition is awesome!

7 Likes

Google’s competing things don’t usually translate well for instance Google + and Stadia. But I guess we’ll just have to wait and see

4 Likes

My allegiance will always lie with Byte

1 Like

These apps might succeed but at what cost? Have you seen what’s popular on tiktok? CRINGE and the bad kind. Utube shorts will be the same. Apps for uncreative toxic boring clout chasers

Just because it’s popular doesn’t mean it’s good

7 Likes

you know what’s popular but also really good?

…investing in the STOCK MARKET DURING THIS BIG POOPOO RECESSION AHHHHH MAKING SO MUCH GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3 Likes

I love TikTok lol so agree to disagree. I’m having a lot more success there

1 Like

Could be interesting. We’ll see. Alphabet tends to create platforms that fail though, i.e. Google+, so I’m curious as to how they handle it.

I’m just mad you spelled YouTube as “Utube”, dude cmon

2 Likes

NGL, my goal was always gonna be to either get big on YouTube or use my hypothetical byte popularity to get big on YouTube like all the ex-Viner YouTubers. Apologies to the byte team, but YouTube Shorts could help me cut the middle man (or however that phrase goes)

2 Likes

As far as changes to the platform, Shorts could bring back a little big of that creative magic YouTube lost from the massive algorithm changes. We could possibly go back to a time with viral videos like Double Rainbow and Charlie Bit My Finger

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I remember uploading a massive amount of content on Google+ and even betting on its popularity. It’s dead now but I did connect with some awesome people who I still talk to today via other platforms.

If another platform opens up - repurpose your content and ingest what it natively wants. If you’re in the business of entertainment - It matters. If you’re having a blast just on Byte - that’s great too.

2 Likes

Double rainbow! Ha. Forgot about that. YouTube has turned into another animal. It’s so resourceful and fun still. I just think we’re in a time where the audience is split. We (the consumer) can’t be everywhere. That’s crazy .
The producer never the less - needs to strategize his distribution.

1 Like

I was talking about that today. From an artist perspective, I’m like “WTF am I watching and doing.” Sigh. It’s an interesting direction they’ve taken. I mean, it seems more welcoming in the sense where “everyone” is “creating” now there. They made it easy.

But we all know. Real craftsmanship is hard AF. And the level of detail I’ve seen in people’s Byte surpasses the hours people are taking to get a dance or lip sync right on TikTok.

3 Likes

I’m hoping ANYBODY can use it and not just big creators like how they introduced stories, and only big creators can use stories

1 Like

Tiktok is fine . It’s big and anyone can get success there. But the point is what makes it successful is repetitive trends and basic targeted demographic incentives, the good stuff gets swamped there with fake uncreative pop culture

3 Likes

If YouTube is going to have all those pesky rules introduced, then I don’t know if it’ll pick up.

2 Likes

Pssshhffttt… compete with byte… plz… like Shorts could do that. #bytenation

Agree 100%. Not saying its all bad but I shouldnt have to scroll through 300 clips of people doing 2 or 3 of the same dances to find something original (doesnt even have to be creative but give me something different). I selected gaming as my only interest and all I was getting is people dancing to drake :joy:

4 Likes