Why University Class of 2020 Might Be Unemployed

This is no disrespect to the hard work of university students out there who are currently graduating or about to graduate. Also, I realize there’s a recession happening as well which will probably last for at least 3 years (in my opinion), but I still think this applies even in these current times. So here are some reasons why you may be unemployed right after graduation:

1. The career path you chose after university has very low employment rates.
  2. Refuse to move out the area you currently live in, to move to an an area where all the jobs in your industry are at.
  3. Didn’t get hired at the internship you worked at.

University freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, use this as a learning tool, and don’t say I didn’t warn you.

2 Likes

I mean yeah you should be aware how difficult it might be to be employed it your job field and if you don’t expand your job search accordingly to places further away you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially given the current situation.

3 Likes

I chose to start and internship but so far life they haven’t given me an interview yet after I’ve down the online test. They said due to corona there will be a delay. It’s not just that but when I get into this apprenticeship (god willing) being an engineer will be difficult as construction projects will he put on hold due to the economy. This may be a larger recession than we think or the worst is yet to come I’m not sure. What should I even do at this point

3 Likes

Since a recession is all but inevitable I expect a lot of us will have to expand our job search into areas we weren’t considering before. It’ll probably take people longer to settle into the career they want, but everyone is in the same boat.

3 Likes

Nothing major now besides the COVID-19 and there is a huge spike of unemployment currently. I’ll predict 2025-2050… unemployment will soar!! :slightly_smiling_face:

Robots were increasingly used in aerospace,*agriculture,*** cleaning,* delivery services (via drone),** elderly care homes, hospitals,*hotels,** kitchens,** military operations,****mining,* retail environments,* security patrols** and warehouses.*

Reference:
https://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2025.htm#future-unemployment

1 Like

Thing is people have been talking about a big recession that’s gonna come for years maybe this is the one that’ll be the big one. Like 1920 Spanish flu the great depression occured afterwards in the 1930s or 20s (not sure) something ain’t right

1 Like

I’m willing to move anywhere for a job so it doesn’t even matter be Antarctica to southern brazil. I always wanted to travel but things will be expensive too

2 Likes

Yeah… and history repeats…

Recommend checking this timeline :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah same I’m willing to travel pretty far at this point. I’m in Georgia and I might be able to get an internship in Arizona.

2 Likes

The unfortunate truth ;/ A paid internship (In LA) including cost of living was blown out of my future because of Covid-19. You have to adapt and do what it takes. The world does not run according to you or I and that’s what makes things interesting. Whether we adapt or not, the world will continue its path through space.

2 Likes

It’s izzzz what it izzzzz

2 Likes

Lot of people don’t see it that way though. Sometimes one might have to make an additional 1 hour commute. Yeah it sucks, but the whole point of university was to get a job.

Idk I think we’re good for now. I don’t the robots will take over yet

I’m glad you’re seeing for what it is. Keep up your head up and keep at it. The next recession is what I’m more worried about. Get prepared for them to tell everyone to turn the internet off because of some rouge AI. We were all warned but as usual no one listens unitl its too late

1 Like

Libzy,
Try moving to an area with high rates of construction. Texas doesn’t stop building. Learn Spanish!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion I always wanted to go see the states