Why do people feel lonely?

I’ve never really felt this way. Being unaccomplished in life to me is a lot worse. Plus when you look at it, we have over 7 billion people on this planet. We’re never alone. Share your thoughts below.

7 Likes

Well I believe that loneliness is feeling isolated from the rest of the world. Even when you’re in a room with tons of people you know, you can still feel lonely. It’s more of your mental state really. Being lonely means that you feel distant from those around you and can’t really connect with anyone. Sometimes people just need a helping hand to reach out to them so they can feel like they are part of something in life rather than feeling like they don’t belong.

18 Likes

Humans are social creatures, and require other human beings (or just living beings) and communication and physical contact to not lose their mind. So it’s completely natural for us to feel a yearn for others and to feel isolated and alone when we are or have been alone, even if it’s in a room full of people as the saying goes. Doesn’t matter if there is only physical company, there has to be a connection and an exchange in communication. If you could imagine a world where you exist and the world is still full, but no one ever acknowledges or speaks to you, you’re not alone, but you’re still lonely, no?

13 Likes

Loneliness is more a state of mind rather than a simple situation: you could be in a room full of people and still feel like being lonely. I believe that true and intense human connections happen once or twice in a lifetime, they’re rare. Yet, they’re enough to feel you’ve got someone there who just won’t go away. The issue is while figuring out who is who and what is what; for example, you can believe we will be “friends” for a long long time and suddenly we stop talking. When that happens, it hurts.
You can’t be dependent of others even though you believe you’re really close.
Just do you and don’t expect much unless it’s from you.

3 Likes

Building off of what Jay said, I feel like humans weren’t meant to live the way we live today. Back in the day during the infancy of mankind, we lived in tribes, and all contributed to the common good. Everybody knew each other, and you felt like you had a place. Once civilization started to become larger people lost that sense of belonging. That’s how now, even with cities with millions of people in them, people feel more lonely and disconnected than ever. That’s what I think at least.

5 Likes

People can feel lonely because they feel unwelcome or unwanted. Just because they are surrounded by people doesn’t make it any better. In my opinion, it can make it worse. When you’re alone it’s different unless you see other people bonding and being in each other’s company. Then you feel lonely because you have no one to be with or that no one wants to be around you. Loneliness is kind of like a fear of being left behind. It’s also the feeling of no one caring, so it’s not always about presence. Being alone is just being by yourself, but being lonely is the feeling of not having anyone regardless the amount of people you know. Anyone can have a lot of friends and family, but still feel lonely.

2 Likes

@Benf

Well I believe that loneliness…

My Response:

That’s interesting, never seen it that way before. I do feel some people are like that though. Some people are very extroverted, but they feel like the loneliest people in the world, masking it by being very outgoing

@Chabe

Just do you and don’t expect much unless it’s from you.

My Response:

Pretty much summarizes how I feel about this topic

@mason_paper

even with cities with millions of people in them, people feel more lonely and disconnected than ever.

My Response:

I definitely see that as an issue. However if you got go out there and talk to people. I('ll admit it’s not the most comfortable thing) making new friends are at least a new social group is easy if you’re willing to put the work in it. If you’re mindset is messed up though that’s a whole different story.

@Alana

Anyone can have a lot of friends and family, but still feel lonely.

My Response:

Definitely seen my own fair share of that. Unfortunately I often wonder if that mind set can ever change.

1 Like