When making videos on V2, would you care if people put them in compilations or reposted them to places like instagram?

When making videos on V2, would you care if people put them in compilations or reposted them to places like instagram?

I was just wondering what you guys would think if any of your videos from V2 ended up in something like a v-ne compilation, or got reposted anywhere. I know quite a few people who got their v-nes in these compilations were usually okay with it, but some smaller creators did occasionally get irritated when they weren’t credited.

Obviously, your content being shared is generally considered a good thing as you would gain more views on that content. Personally, if someone were to give credit to any video or song I made, I would usually be fine with them using it (although if I did have the ability to put a monetisation claim on it or something like some youtube claimers do then I probably would just to get my fair share of stuff).

But I understand that, especially with fandom edits, this type of thing can seem very unfair and annoying.

Any thoughts?

(Would also like to mention @SelenaGomez 's suggestion for making automatic compilations and this post here : Off-Site Vine/V2 Compilations Need To Stop (if/when we monetize V2))

5 Likes

If someone reposted my video and profitted off of it, I’d feel disrespected.

7 Likes

I probably would too if I were a small creator. I have seen other people not care about it though, so I was curious with what everyone thought.

If I get to a stage of popularity then no, I’d want to make as many people laugh as much as possible, even through someone else

1 Like

Anyone can use the content I created as long as they give me credits :slight_smile: But like @jennifer said, I would feel disrespected if someone is earning money from the content I created, content I’ve put a lot of time & effort in…

So use my content, give me credits, don’t monetise :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Idc if my stuff is funny enough to be shared that means I’m doing something right. People only steal things they want. I can always make more content.

1 Like

As a creator, I see two sides to this @annsquake.

Side 1. Gaining fans/followers who see your content when it is shared/reposted on another site. I think that can be a huge asset to adding to your influence as a whole. Yes, it can suck at the moment when someone who liked your content, took it without permission and shared without crediting you, but I think in the big picture, people sharing your content will get your name to people who otherwise may have never heard of you.

Side 2. Someone else monetizing your content. I’ve been studying YouTube, Facebook, and other platforms when it comes to copyrights, and most of the major platforms are well aware and actively working on doing everything they can to protect creators and their content! I am sure the V2 Team is well aware of this and working to build V2 in a way to protect creators and original content. Yes I’m sure people will still find loopholes, but that brings me back to my point above, even though someone else might monetize off your work for a little bit, eventually, people will find the creator of the content and BAM! Your influence grows!

What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

Someone can use my content anyway thy want (if they give credits), but as few people already said, it would be very disrespectful if someone used my and other creator’s hard work for their own good.

3 Likes

Along with what a few other people are saying, I’d be fine with people sharing my content as long as proper credit is given.

2 Likes

In my opinion I wouldn’t care if they put it in a compilation and didn’t tag me cuz honesty I just wanna post content on V2 for people’s enjoyment

1 Like

there are lots of really interesting responses to this, thanks guys!

I think that if you are publishing content on internet you should be prepared for having it shared and used by others. If you are not fine with this, you could and should use a water mark to solve the problem.

2 Likes

They can definitely use my content, but not for granted… and I should get some credit

2 Likes

Agreed, but I don’t want it on Instagram, it kills the quality

2 Likes

I’d be honoured to see if I got on one of those compilation vids I love watching, but it would suck if they don’t even mention my name ;(

2 Likes

I think having V2 content posted on other sites will be important for the growth of the platform. Embedded V2 clips should have the V2 logo shown and link to that video’s location on V2 so that people on other sites can easily figure out where the video came from. Of course, some will take content from V2 and upload it directly to other sites (so people won’t know where it came from), but that’s just how things go on the internet.

2 Likes

As long as the reposter doesn’t try to take credit for the content it probably wouldn’t matter

3 Likes

As long as they credit me it’s fine. Especially if I’m just starting out it would get me some great exposure, but it would piss me off if it was uncredited.

2 Likes

I think that as long as credit is given where its due then it shouldn’t matter much

2 Likes

Tbh I wouldn’t care because v2 is a public website/app meaning anyone can access your videos (a lower chance if you’re on private)

2 Likes