What was your favorite class you took in high school/college?

For me, it was a class I took in my last year. I didn’t know a lot about feminism, so I ended up picking a random class in the Women’s Studies department called “Philosophy of Space and Place.”

Basically, the entire class was breaking down what a “place” and “space” is and everything that means politically and philosophically.

I think it really framed a lot of how I thought about the world, and especially the cities I live in.

What about you?

12 Likes

Mine was this one Art class in high school. My teacher was actually an artist and was pretty well known. He hung out with the black eyed peas and what not. He was a bit of a jerk sometimes but he definitely taught way better than any teacher I had. Definitely gave me a new perspective on self expression.

6 Likes

This is tough.

AP anatomy was a lot of fun and was fascinating. Our teacher had a great sense of humor and that really came in handy during our progressively nasty dissections. She also let us sumo wrestle with CPR dummies so that’s a plus.

5 Likes

Probably Marine Biology cuz it was senior year so I was very relaxed when taking it lol I also had two close friends in that class and the teacher for my marine biology class was so laid back that she doesn’t even like the ocean :sob::skull: she didn’t really care and showed us a lot of documentary stuff that’s on netflix. Lots of chill people in the class too and they would crack jokes a lot so overall it was a very fun time

4 Likes

For me it was Definitely freshman English class :relieved::ok_hand:t5: (in high school cause I dropped out before Any kind of higher education).

Now, I can’t tell you S**T about what I learned in that class but Boy, when I tell you that we had Shenanigans!

I don’t condone any of what I did, especially cause I’m almost A positive that there are still spitballs on the ceiling, bruh :-1:t5::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

6 Likes

grade 10 history and grade 11 environmental science were my two favourites. its hard to choose between them but id probably say science because we had some really memorable field trips.
one time we went to test water in a creek and we had to cross the creek but there was no bridge so we had to use the rocks to get across and somebody almost fell into the creek

that would be me, i almost fell into the creek

5 Likes

Abnormal psych, and my two Shakespeare lit classes in college.

A bitch loves her Shakespeare, and learning about how abnormal people’s brains work.

3 Likes

High school Modern History because our class really felt like a family. Bouncing jokes off each other, having insightful discussions about topics and just having a great time whilst learning:) I miss those days badly.

6 Likes

AP Chemistry – had a special bonding with my teacher :cold_sweat: I miss high school!

3 Likes

my spare

2 Likes

Probably either wildland fire or ornithology.

5 Likes

was probably my favorite class.

Public Speaking, my freshman year of college. The instructor was fantastic, had really unorthodox methods of getting the class out of its comfort zone in order to feel more comfortable with speaking to a crowd.

One day, in particular, he had the whole class go to the center of campus and, one by one, each student had to perform a hog call. The lesson was not only in helping us learn about the art of projection, but also helped us in worrying less about looking like idiots in front of each other.

4 Likes

Ohhhh my god lol. I don’t know if I could’ve done that. Embarrassing. :rofl: — I have some pretty significant social anxiety when it comes to public ANYTHING. I would’ve resisted. I wasn’t a fan of my Speaking course but I knew how to do it, so I did well. Glad I didn’t have to recreate a hog call.

2 Likes

I’m taking a communication class this term.
I hope they have us do a hog call. That sounds wild. And fun

1 Like

Freshman US History II - I had a fantastic teacher who was able to put everything into modern cultural context. First time I felt challenged. He was a former Marine and assigned me a report on the Battle of Khe Sanh. As I was reading my instructions sheet he walked over to my desk and said, “Good luck with this report. You’ll need it. Because I was there.”

My other favorite was Senior Shakespeare. Another fantastic teacher.

Oh, man… the hog call was one of the highlights of the class! Plus, I may or may not have been given the verbal accolade for “Best Hog Call of the Class”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That class was definitely instrumental in helping me get over my anxiety of speaking in public. Not only did the instructor have us do the hog calls, but there was also a class (right before one of the big speeches of the semester) where he brought in a straw hat and a bonnet; he would then have one of the girls sit in a chair wearing the bonnet, while all the boys in the class would line up and each one individually would wear the straw hat and, to the girl and in the worst Southern accent that could be conjured up, declare: “Daisy May! Daisy May! Where is you, Daisy May! Aw, there you is! Daisy May, I loves you so much, I’d scoop you up and squeeze you to death!

Once all the boys got done, then all the girls would line up, don the bonnet at their turn, and say to the boy something similar, only to the guy character in this scenario. (Of which, for some reason, I cannot for the life remember at the moment. However, the characters were based off of an old comic strip series.) Another stand-out moment in Public Speaking, as it further reinforced the idea of “Think you’re gonna look like an idiot? Well, get the hell over it.”

1 Like

“Abnormal people” :thinking:

2 Likes

Means “people who want to normalize the perception of abs”.