What was the coolest assignment you ever got in school/class?

It can be history class, art class, math class, home ec, an improv or acting class whatever…have you ever got a really unique, cool assignment that really changed your perspective?

2 Likes

none high school sucked

3 Likes

best answer. thread closed.

5 Likes

in the short time i was in college i had a “form and space” course. we had a popup book assignment that my group failed at (low engagement from me, and all around non cohesive group). maybe 1-2 other groups really went HAM, and made some good stuff. I was like “:open_mouth: that’s how that assignment was suppose to turn out…?!”

a complete fail for me, but a very interesting piece of homework to witness.

4 Likes

We had a mini history project to do and the teacher gave me special permission to do it in the form of a comic book.

4 Likes

Making an image editor in C, really interesting how images were input as arrays of single pixels

3 Likes

for ap us history, we went to downtown chicago, split into small groups, and walked all over the loop to create a portfolio on the architecture of the city’s historical and modern buildings.

we even got to go inside most of them, so that was cool

4 Likes

this (I’m so old it hurts to flex)

it was a group project-- I wasn’t the kid wearing it. but it was so cool and we got to be in an art parade representing the art class we were in

7 Likes

it wasn’t really an assignment, but in my graphic design class we have a tradition of doing a zombie photoshoot every year. i got to learn a lot about sfx makeup and photo editing.

6 Likes

During undergrad I had two favorites:

1. In my cultural cognition class, I spent one month attending a Persian Christian Church to learn about their culture and traditions. Doing ethnography is my jam.

2. In my Oral History class, I interviewed several people from the dance music scene to reconstruct the city’s dance music history. This project likely led to my decision to write my dissertation.

As a TA, the professor and 3 other TAs ran a historical role playing game for a class of about 100 students. The game: The 1968 Democratic National Convention. The class was split into 4 groups, The delegates (conservadems and liberal Dems), The Journalists, and the protesters. We ran the campaign for 1 month (in and out of class!), each student had different role specific assignments. As you could imagine, the game was very chaotic, but I think the students learned a lot.

4 Likes

In high school, our teacher gave us all a poem and. A poet and we had to perform as if we were them.
I was given Edna St Vincent Millay.
A decade later, she’s still my favourite poet.

5 Likes

Cop car flipped over, on fire. Discharged rubber bullets littered the hallway
DEAN: What happened here!?

5 Likes

My first day on my first class in community college I was assigned Flannery O’Connor and basically she’s been the only author in the world to me ever since.

3 Likes

It’s funny you should mention this. I was in charge of the protest group. Part of the game was to not only become a media darling with the journalists, but also to strategically disrupt the convention by yelling and marching around the room.

2 Likes

In 7th grade and Freshmen year, both in my Language Arts classes, we made short films near the end of the year.

In my 7th grade year me and a few friends got together and just fucked around for our movie. It didn’t have a plot, mainly because the films didn’t need to have one, and it was all screwing around a la Jackass. One notable thing to happen was that some friends did brand themselves with a lighter and the metal thing that’s on pencils. I’m glad I didn’t do that. But, I’m glad I did the editing (granted, in iMovie.) It was shown to the class and laughs were had. My biggest achievement. B)

In my freshman year we were actually required to put in not only a plot for our movie, but a moral, too. It was being graded, but we didn’t have to show it to the class if we didn’t want to. Me and some other friends from the 7th grade film got together and made a film, where the setting was the Vietnam War, and our moral was “Eat your vegetables.” Sounds great. I know. We all had specific characters we played, and a general script to go off of.
The plot has 4 soldiers, all serving in Vietnam in 1972. Every soldier hated vegetables, except for one, the main character, who absolutely loved vegetables. Or should I say celery, because that’s the only vegetable my friend’s parents had at the night of shooting the film. They go out to combat and all end up dying, except for the soldier who loved vegetables, because he… wait for it…

ate his vegetables.

Like the 7th grade film, I also did most of the editing. In retrospect, the film itself felt a lil half assed near the end, and I felt like I put some serious leg work in when editing. But, I am sorta proud with the world building with the movie, since each specific soldier/character had an introduction for them. As a whole, it was fun nevertheless =)

4 Likes

In year 6 (age 11 or something) art we were using clay and I made this so so sick wizard that was quite similar to a skeksis from dark crystal. It had this awesome big collard cape with an upside down cross on it, I name him Drol and set him down next to the kiln to be fired. The next morning I went to school early to get in the artroom and see my masterpiece but the teacher altered it!! The cross was changed to a star :pensive: this was a Catholic school so like I see their point I guess

4 Likes

Illustration during my first year of art school. Had to tattoo a baby doll with rapidograph pens. So fun. Spent two weeks on it and turned in this insane post-apocalyptic baby cyborg…thing. It was probably one of the few things I did that my profs liked.

2 Likes

Well that sounds like the best class EVER.

for AP Art, we were supposed to take a bus to a pretty big aquarium which is an hour or two away. we were going to take pictures (if we were allowed to) and sketch the animals. we were going to then use those sketches and pictures to inspire some new murals that we were going to paint on a few buildings at school. we didn’t get to do this because of COVID-19, but i wish we did. we might do it next year, though!

2 Likes

In 10th grade, I have got to see an autopsy for our biology class. Not a video but A REAL AUTOPSY.

The copse was a 30 years old security guard who had just died yesterday.

It was scary at first but it kinda cool (I guess?)

1 Like