What is your definition of FUNNY?

Everyone has their own preferences and opinions when it comes to comedy.

I would like to know what is funny to you, what do you prefer, and what crosses the line (what you can’t stand at all).

(Please no name dropping if you have a specific person or content in mind)

The reason for this question is for myself or anyone who would like to reference these while creating content specifically in the comedy genre.

5 Likes

Well I like when there is a story line to something, so it is easy for me to follow. If I don’t understand how will I laugh. but maybe sometimes the weird understandable ones are funny, but only if they are the weirdest things ever.

4 Likes

Comedy is all about benign violations

3 Likes

You know it when you see it. :wink:

But, here’s an example of what I find funny: someone trying to be really, really woke on social media, and then getting beautifully skewered for it. Then, a twist comes when you realize that the account in question is a very subtle parody of an SJW. It’s hard to distinguish between SJWs and parodies of SJWs, but when a parody is done well, it’s terrific.

Have a look at this example:

But, in general, I love Seinfeld. It’s probably the best sitcom ever, but some would probably disagree. Even I would be tempted to nominate Fawlty Towers as the greatest. Yes, Minister was terrific, as was The Simpsons back in the '90s. South Park is still funny, all these years later.

When I heard Louis CK’s latest routine, I loved it! “You didn’t get shot, you pushed some fat kid in the way.” God that is hysterical.

What I know about comedy, and I’m sure you already agree, is that you can’t force it, and you shouldn’t confuse zany with funny. Different things. Comedy can be cynical, sarcastic, abrasive, brash and rude, but it should never be mean-spirited. So you can tell Holocaust jokes, you can tell jokes about the Parkland shooting, you can tell jokes about rape and abortion, whatever. But it’s easy to tell when you venture into being nasty.

2 Likes
  • insider joke
  • some vines
  • cleverly executed one-liner, which is my typical style
5 Likes

I just like dumb humor. The office type of humor is my favorite :ok_hand::ok_hand: I’ll laugh at basically anything as long as it doesnt seem forced and/or offensive (I guess dark humor)

5 Likes

i absolutely love over exaggerated comedy

3 Likes

Has to be over the top melodramatic comedy. Comedy where silliness is it’s main theme !

3 Likes

I read a book where it said “Comedy = pain + truth”,
So any statement made where there is always some truth to it delivered jokingly is comedy to me. The hard part is making it work :sweat_smile:
Then again memes kill me, they always follow a certain relatability but the most absurd ones get me every time too.
It’s Subjective, so what you find funny others will and won’t find funny.
Just gotta create BABY. Throw yourself on the fire and feel comfy warm or burnt.

3 Likes

Don’t think about what others would find funny, you have to understand what YOU consider funny. Everyone has a different sense of humour, and what some find funny some find revolting or cringy.

4 Likes

My love life

4 Likes

Can relate. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

changed from general to off topic :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Oh ok. I’m still new here and don’t really know that much. So I just put it in general discussion. oops lmao :sweat_smile:
I guess what you did makes sense, after all, you are the expert :joy::ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes

I like when things are witty and require me to think fast. That’s why I’ve always loved the short form of vi.nes, 7 seconds to set the scene, build the character, and deliver a good punchline. But contrarily, I love stuff that’s just plain stupid and makes pretty much no sense. Mainly though, I like to see comedy that feels like thought and creativity was put into it. Think: rick and morty/doctor who vs family guy/vi.nes

4 Likes

As dumb as it sounds, whatever makes me laugh :joy:

3 Likes

makes sense :relieved:

2 Likes

Funny is funny. I truly believe when it comes to comedy NOTHING is off limits. Just be willing to deal with the consequences. That’s just how i feel.

4 Likes

i agree with this

4 Likes

I agree with you

3 Likes