What Is The Origin of Your Name and What Does It Mean?

I’ll go first:

Both my names are Jewish names :star_of_david:

Sem: Westernized version of Shem (שֵׁם) and means “renown”, pronounced like the English name Sam. Noah’s first son was named Shem.
Yoram (יֹרָם): Means “God is exalted”. The name is also (first) mentioned in the Tanakh/Old Testament in 2 Kings 8:16 as both Joram and Jehoram.

Now it’s your turn!

11 Likes

eyy my name is derived from hebrew too

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Would you mind sharing your name and its meaning with us? :grin:

Gregor: Scottish version of Gregory and means “watcher”, pronounced like Greguh.
Sharp: originates from a medieval nickname, with the derivation from the Old English word “scearp”, meaning sharp and used to describe a “sharp or smart” person.

4 Likes

Ayeee Jewish gang lol my name, Benjamin, isn’t hebrew but it is a common name in the Jewish community. It means son of God’s right hand which is kinda confusing but here’s what this person said it meant:

Pretty neat

4 Likes

Mine’s a spinoff of my last name: Dagdagan. People would call my sister and I “dagdragon” and it stuck.

2 Likes

german and spanish are my origins

2 Likes

My name’s Christiane and it’s of Greek Origin but it’s also a French and German name.
It basically means follower of Christ

1 Like

My name Demi is a nickname of my actual name “Ademide”.

In Yoruba, this means “My crown has come”, indicating I was the first child to be born to my parents.

4 Likes

:eye: :lips: :eye:

3 Likes

Penelope Greek mythology wife of odysseys, but is actually German origin meaning weaver.
my surname is medieval english derived for the occupational surname for a watchman.
& my byte name pulcher is latin for beautiful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I speak Dutch and Dutch is the second closest language to English (Frisian is the closest). The Dutch word for sharp is “scherp” and the Old English word “scearp” looks and sound a lot like that Dutch word. In Frisian you write and pronounce scherp as “skerp” which would sound very identical to the word scearp I think.

I think your name is a Hebrew name that was westernized just like my first name. lol :joy:

2 Likes

:dragon: :dragon_face:

1 Like

And may we know your names if you don’t mind, I know you try to be as anonymous as possible on here but I’m really curious tbh. :grimacing:

Idk about my name but my surname was Italian royalty on the 16th century😂

1 Like

Awesome! Are you a descendant from one of the Capetian branches? If so, you would be my distant cousin! Send me a DM since most royals and nobles are very private about this stuff. Not gonna leak my exact family branch either. :joy:

It would be VERY VERY distant family. I don’t even live in Italy and I just researched my surname😂 so I actually doubt were related

Me neither

That’s the article where I found it

1 Like