What do you think your native language sounds like to people who don't speak it? 🌐

I’ve always been wondering what Dutch sounds like to foreign people who don’t speak the language, I know that foreigners always make fun of the way we pronounce the G (which I think kinda sounds like somebody is sawing wood) but I can’t figure out what Dutch actually sounds like to foreigners?!

Let me know what you think your native language sounds like to foreigners and also don’t forget to share with others what you think their language sounds like to you!

Nog een fijne dag!

7 Likes

From the Dutch people I’ve heard before, the only really notable thing is that an S sound always seems to be more of SH.

As a Scottish person that doesn’t really have the accent, this is basically what I think other Scottish people sound like to non scots

9 Likes

that limmys show vid has been my favorite video for so many years hahah

4 Likes

portuguese = tararatarayakahataratra

4 Likes

I never knew Dutch people do this! :joy:

2 Likes

I recently watched this video about the Scottish accent, don’t tell me it’s true! :joy:

2 Likes

To me dutch sounds like I should be able to understand it fully but I cannot so it’s very confusing when I hear it😂!
It’s very confusing because I live in the german speaking part of Switzerland and besides of German we speak Swiss German and when it comes to the pronunciation, we have a lot of similarities with Dutch.
I remember when I was in Amsterdam people kept staring at us because they probably felt like they should be able to understand what we were talking but they couldn’t :joy: And we felt the same towards dutch. I understand quite a lot when I read it but not as much when I hear someone speak it.

I wonder how Swiss German sound to other people though :thinking:

My native language is portuguese (I’m originally from Mozambique) and since I don’t have the brazilian or portuguese accent, I think my portuguese sounds like a mess to other people, even when I change my way of pronouncing. I sound very different when I talk to my relatives and to non relatives. Some people sometimes think I‘m speaking a mix of french but I’m actually not :joy: my portuguese just doesn‘t sound cute lmfao

6 Likes

The only language I speak is english. I imagine that to foreign language speakers it sounds simplistic and boring because the other languages are so cool sounding in comparison.

4 Likes

Acadian is like French but like if it was from Texas :joy:

3 Likes

I honestly don’t know what English sounds like to people who don’t speak the language either since I’ve understood it pretty much all my life. I once heard that The Netherlands is the world’s best non-native English speaking country, the Dutch English accent is horrible though (luckily for me I speak American English with a slight southern accent), the Dutch government also recognizes English as an official language and the Dutch language is slowly fading away at universities and big cities (in a lot of parts of Amsterdam you have to speak English, they will just stare at you if you speak Dutch :joy:).

3 Likes

I do understand German since we have to learn English, German and French in high school and sometimes Greek and/or Latin (I can only read Greek), but we definitely shouldn’t have a conversation in German! :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve heard about Acadian but I’ve never heard anybody speak it, do you have any video or recording where I can hear somebody speak the language?

1 Like
  1. No I don’t, but I can send you a recording of me saying whatever you want to hear and I’ll probably add you a few things about the language too in there
  2. HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT IT! It’s such a small and dying language at this point lol (sadly I’m n’my opinion obviously)
1 Like

I don’t even know, I do like foreign languages a lot and I probably found out about it through a list of dying languages or something?! :joy:

2 Likes

Say something about how great Byte is in Acadian! :wink:

2 Likes

yes, super fast. i’m lucky if i can catch a few words in a sentence.

2 Likes

Lol sure I have a 3 hour long class to go to now since I have a presentation due but I’ll do it tmr because it’s already dark out now anyways :joy:

2 Likes

I had no clue that was the case in the netherlands. Makes me wanna visit know that I know people mostly speak English… I just remembered this youtube video I watched years ago about what English sounds like to non natives. I wanna see if I can find it…

I found it and another and ngl they seem accurate. They’re also hilarious:

2 Likes

Like this

1 Like

Marcello, what are you doing?! :joy::joy:

1 Like