We're testing a dislike button

in an update in the next few days we will be testing a dislike button.

here’s how it works:

1. disliking a post will instantly hide it from your feed
  2. if you frequently dislike posts from someone, we will stop showing you posts from them (although you can reset this)
  3. dislike counts will not be shown publicly
  4. if you are a creator, once you’ve received a certain number of likes/dislikes, you can check the percentage of people that liked your post (e.g. “67% of viewers liked this post”). only you can see this

this is only an experiment, but if it turns out okay we will experiment with lightly incorporating post quality (likes vs. dislikes) into some of our algorithms. we will take care to make sure this isn’t trivially gameable by bots or concerted efforts

important concepts/beliefs that led to this experiment:

1. criticism is okay
  2. rejection is okay
  3. everyone should have control over what they want to see
  4. an audience is earned, not deserved
  5. an app where more people are happy about the content they see is a better app overall for everyone

this is the second of three drastic changes we’re experimenting with. please keep discussion in this thread!

120 Likes

Criticism is good :call_me_hand:

15 Likes

This has the potential to be massively helpful for creators as well, especially re:the percentages. Obviously, creativity is the point above all, but it doesn’t hurt see what efforts folks enjoy more, and helps answer some unanswered questions about “are people indifferent or actively not enjoying x or y content”,
Thanks, Dom.

24 Likes

:exclamation:

7 Likes

imma say it off the bat THIS IS JUST A TEST

8 Likes

noice this should help clean up the pages of people who’ve complained about content

13 Likes

Definitely a good call keeping the dislikes hidden, last thing we need is people getting their feelings hurt. I also think that the percentage feature is super cool. This will challenge creators to look back on what they posted and see what they can improve on. Looking forward to this new update.

23 Likes

That’s gonna be awesome, I kinda hate to see how many people dislike my content but hey it’ll help me grow as a creator lol

10 Likes

It should hopefully help shed some light on higher viewed but lower liked content- ie, if people are indifferent or actively dislike it. Which is nice for energy expenditure.

6 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I was gonna make a byte about this…

Ok… let’s… just test… and get it over with…

5 Likes

Lemme know when you post that byte so I can dislike it!
(This is a joke, to be clear.)

15 Likes

I wonder if they’ll be a limit as to how many Bytes you can dislike in a row. :thinking:

3 Likes

gonna spam dislike you from now on :triumph:

(this is also joke pls)

17 Likes

So far it doesn’t seem like it

1 Like

Me and u constantly spam dislike one another :triumph:

19 Likes

papa preach

36 Likes

It will definitely be interesting to say the least. Curious to see how this will impact creators content!

9 Likes

@dom how will this affect the dislike of the amount of seconds someone uses? Since there are some people who still don’t like the 16, if they keep disliking 16sec bytes will that stop 16sec videos from popping up on their feed?

3 Likes

SpiderGwyn vs SpiderNeef

you’re on

5 Likes

is the dislike button going to be a blue heart or a thumbs down :thinking:

7 Likes