in an update in the next few days we will be testing a dislike button.
here’s how it works:
- disliking a post will instantly hide it from your feed
- if you frequently dislike posts from someone, we will stop showing you posts from them (although you can reset this)
- dislike counts will not be shown publicly
- if you are a creator, once you’ve received a certain number of likes/dislikes, you can check the percentage of people that liked your post (e.g. “67% of viewers liked this post”). only you can see this
this is only an experiment, but if it turns out okay we will experiment with lightly incorporating post quality (likes vs. dislikes) into some of our algorithms. we will take care to make sure this isn’t trivially gameable by bots or concerted efforts
important concepts/beliefs that led to this experiment:
- criticism is okay
- rejection is okay
- everyone should have control over what they want to see
- an audience is earned, not deserved
- an app where more people are happy about the content they see is a better app overall for everyone
this is the second of three drastic changes we’re experimenting with. please keep discussion in this thread!