We're revamping channels

Exactly and mods lol. I would say I am quite the regular in gaming lol. Anyways I love everything except the / and the colors being gone. My take is they should leave channels that are here as is and then do a poll. after the poll for what channel should go or be added u know.

2 Likes

I agree with you.

1 Like

My point with removing funny is that a very large percentage of byte falls in that category (and so does the online entertainment industry). Previously the popular page was filled with majority coming from the comedy category. I’m mainly VFX, but I would even categorize some of my work as funny over VFX. However, if it was broken down into something like “skits” “memes” “shit posts” etc I wouldn’t think of categorizing mine as any of those.

/funny has double the amount of followers as the second place channel. People are going to post in there because it’s going to get seen more. /funny is now essentially the popular page.

13 Likes

I only glanced this post over the last few days but has anyone else addressed that some channels like funny, trash, and no upload are all comedy but just different kinds of comedy? I personally browse byte for comedy stuff and think cutting it so many ways is kind of not good. At least from my person perspective.

4 Likes

I would also rename the trash category

1 Like

I created a topic about these 3 categories as well.

3 Likes

Yup I definitely get your point and understand the problem. I’m just not sure that splitting comedy into more subsections is the right answer, because depending on who you ask, it could be sliced up into many different ways and the amount of niches could just keep building. And this kind of thinking could translate to the other categories. There are so many ways you could slice up music (like each genre) and dance (ballet is different to hip hop) or pets (which for now is cats and dogs but what about ya girl @yeahnahyeah with her bird (so imagine an /animals category with #bird and #pets hashtag). I think at scale, we could start having problems.

It’s for this reason that I would push more for a better hashtagging system because it’s meant to solve exactly this (with the birds example above)

So I understand and agree that there is a problem. I’m just not sure that I agree with the implementation of adding categories to compensate. My view can definitely be changed though, perhaps there’s a way of achieving it with a category split that I haven’t thought of.

4 Likes

I appreciate the hard work that went into rolling this out. I hate to complain…but the loss of latest is really bleh. And the switching from popular/New on the categories is kinda obtuse and user unfriendly. I would never of known about it had I not found out about it here.

Loss of latest means loss of discoverability. New people who are unfamiliar with the app may not know where/how to post. And as much as I like having categories to browse through, I also like making discoveries . I don’t necessarily want all my content being curated. That can feel a little too cloistered And fragmented. It can be nice just sifting through it all as it comes in.

Maybe this dates me a bit, but I like going to the bargain bin of a record or a comic book store and just flipping through things until I find something interesting. Or going to the museum and getting lost and stumbling across some thing that really speaks to you. I feel the same way about the ‘latest’ tab and I think it’s a huge loss for organic discovery.

14 Likes

How am i only seeing this now?
Will this new beta still allow me to post 16 second bytes?

1 Like

yea

2 Likes

Technically speaking, if one follows a channel, then watching the “following” stream should produce an ersatz mediated “latest.” If this is the case, you’ll get more killer and less filler.

3 Likes

I completely agree with you. I do think the last update was overall good and Byte is still testing every single change they make, so let’s be patient.

Talking about the Latest section, I feel it was a big hit for new users, in terms of discoverability. The algorithm lately was already not really friendly with new users, that came after the Byte hype…and to be honest, if those users don’t comment, like and engage A LOT with the community, people will never discover their content…if they leave to the algorithm to push their content all for itself.

I know we can select “new” or “popular” in every single channel, I just don’t see it being as effective as the last method with the Latest Section.

I love the app and I hope new users will find a way to standout no matter what :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just a suggestion that I feel would really help the app grow is making the app more brighter and easier to access categories, trends, and users. If you look at TikTok, their search section that’s filled with trends and categories is generally brighter and more colorful. By changing the color of the categories from all black into something brighter, it would definitely appeal more and look more organized. Obviously byte is very different from TikTok, but changing a few things would definitely make it look better and professional.

3 Likes

Is there actually gonna be a trash channel? Or is that a joke?

1 Like

Yes. Well, that’s the plan anyways. It might change.

1 Like

Yeah I could see why it could go either way.
On one hand I worry it could go against the vibe of the app, which to me is positivity and acceptance from a supporting community. But I also can’t help but feel like it will help creators learn and grow. Like if you’re making mostly trash that’ll help you maybe pause, reflect, and switch up your content a bit. I think if used correctly, it could be a great tool to help encourage better content overall and better content is what the app needs right now.

No no trash isn’t a “your byte sucks and delete your account” category lol it’s supposed to be just random videos that has an unscripted feeling to it and a “wtf” type energy to it as it is described. It’s just a channel to place your throwaway videos in basically.

4 Likes

Thanks for reposting your response for me because it NAILS the situation perfectly. Well written up

1 Like

Ohh like a drafts page ? Or like a whatever randomness?

That makes waay more sense bahaha thank you for clarifying!

3 Likes