soon we’ll send out a new beta of byte that includes a complete overhaul of channels. our new approach makes them more like communities inside byte and creates a home for a wider range of creators
three big things!
first, we’ve created a new list of channels to make it easier to watch what you wanna watch and find communities that you’d want to spend time in.
- this new list is based on what people have been posting and what’s already working well on byte
- some channels will stick around, like /animation and /dance. others are new, like /beats+rhymes, /noupload, and /mylife
second, we’re redesigning channels to be their own distinct spaces.
- you can follow a channel to get its best bytes in your mix
- every channel has its own curated spotlight section
- you can sort by popularity and recency (with more on the way)
third, we’re going to moderate every channel for relevance (this is a big one)
- every channel has a clear description and rules. for example:
- we’re expanding our in-house team of mods. in addition to moderating for safety, they’ll now make sure the content in channels is relevant and sticks to the rules. so you won’t see a crying baby in /soothing or a video without a dog in /dogs. (instead, you’ll see https://byte.co/pazukhin/Ck9s4I3pjtM in /soothing and https://byte.co/b/DFY8nVdjI9G in /dogs)
- if you see something that doesn’t belong in a channel, you can flag it for the mods to review
what if i posted to a channel that was removed?
don’t worry, those bytes aren’t going anywhere and are still on your profile, visible to your followers, etc.
will my followers see posts i make to a channel even if they’re not following the channel?
yep! in the future we’d like to give both you and your followers more control over this, but that’s how it is for the intial test
i don’t want to post to a channel, or there isn’t a channel for my post
that’s okay, too. by default your post will go out to your followers like usual. channels are totally optional
i have an idea for a channel
awesome! we’re definitely going to add more channels! if you want to suggest one, you can do it here: https://forms.gle/Z76j6Du8iEXhxTud7
what about hashtags?
they’re not going anywhere and actually coexist very nicely with channels
any other changes?
we’re removing “popular now” as part of this update. otherwise, there are some algorithm changes on the way, but they’ll come out a bit after this test. the dislike button is also still in progress and will come out shortly after the test
y’all keep changing stuff
yep. this is the third of three major experiments. when you put them all together we think they begin to answer the question “what is byte”?" byte is a video app organized around video communities
can i test this?
yup, this will go out to all beta testers. here are the links if you’re not on beta:
- iOS: https://testflight.apple.com/join/LYr3GdT1
- android: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co.byte
please keep discussion in this thread