V2 for d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing

I was just wondering if there was a thought to allow people to caption their videos after filming/uploading them. My thought was that it could be similar to other social media where you can turn the captions on or off and add them after the video is made. I know that the community of people who are d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing was large on vine, and I wanted to address the issue of accessibility on v2.

Personally I am not d/Deaf or Hard of Hearing, but I was hoping that someone who was would be able to talk about what would be the best option. I know that to people who can hear it seems a little weird to caption a video that may only be 6 seconds long, but I think that v2 should be accessible to all who want to use it and if that is the way to do it, I think it should be discussed.

20 Likes

That would be honestly so nice to include that community! So many people overlook communities like that back I am so glad you included them, honestly I probably wouldn’t have thought of this. Captioning would be nice. Amazing Idea :smiley:

9 Likes

I’ve heard of this on Twitter and as soon as I did, I turned it on. I think it’s just a great idea, so that we don’t limit it to people of hearing!

2 Likes

I think this is a really smart idea to add that option. It could increase the amount of people who can use and enjoy v2. Twitter has something similar where you can caption it for read assist and I think it would be a useful addition to the app

3 Likes

That’s amazing I love the idea.

1 Like

yea I was reminded of it when I saw a tweet about turning on the ability to describe the photos that you upload for people who are blind so that they know what is in the photo. I think accessibility across platforms is really important.

1 Like

It definitely agree with you, I feel like we need to make sure we’re open to everyone

1 Like

I love this!

2 Likes

I think community made captions would be nice. Sort of like what YouTube has, with a public caption making system for every one of the videos for deaf people to understand, on top of the section.

1 Like

I totally love the idea but just to play devil’s advocate it takes time and money to develop programs that recognize speech patterns like YT has. I think if it’s possible to enter your own captions it makes sense but this would be a huge task for dom and his team to add in prior to the launch of the app. Not saying it shouldn’t happen it’s a great idea, just maybe not as simple as it seems.

3 Likes

I think everyone’s future v2 videos would be different and speed of talking but the artists should be in charge of captioning, there were a lot of Vines where I know a robot could not have detect the words.

2 Likes

Pronouncing things incorrectly was one of the best series.

Imagine having a robot you paid to caption that, what a waste of money

2 Likes

yea I mean I don’t know too much about making an app, but I feel like people being about to put their own captions in would be a solid start. Like I said i’m not d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing so I have no idea what that community would think would be the best for them. Just wanted to get the conversation started!

1 Like

Although some things the joke is in the audio, like the remixes and stuff. I don’t know how you could communicate that humor through captions.

1 Like

I’ve seen some hilarious captions of people translating woahvicky’s videos on Instagram and I felt like hearing it and reading it was spot on but Deaf people cannot hear it but I believe that they are good at reading lips

1 Like

yea I mean obviously it wouldn’t work for everything, but we should make it point to do what we can.

Also the d/Deaf and Hard of Hearing community on vine was keen on making videos with sign language so it is not like they are not able to make their own amazing vines

Yeah if they could caption those I would appreciate it.:joy::joy:

But I get what you’re saying.

I think it’s an awesome idea !

1 Like

this is such a great idea, i hope they implement it into v2

1 Like