Username issues with special characters

I’ve noticed that underscores ‘_’ and periods ‘.’ in usernames cause issues when searching them up, and have recently found that this is the same issue when tagging usernames in your caption.

Search issue:
When searching a username with a special character, it will not show up in your search results unless you type the letter that comes AFTER the special character

Example:

• If you search up ‘jack_’ it wont show the username ‘jack_septiceye’ until you type the ‘s’ after the underscore

There is a slight exception to this. If you search the part of the username that comes BEFORE the special character, and that username containing the special character shows up in the search results, it will stay when you add the special character to the search, but the others wont be revealed until you add the letter after them (looping back to part 1 of this bug report)

Example:

• Search ‘meme’ (without period): Shows a limited list of search results
  • This list includes some names that have a special character in it (specifically a period)
  • Because of the restriction/limitation on the amount of usernames that show up in our search results, the usernames with periods go from ‘meme.a…’ to ‘meme.i…’ (the last result of searching ‘meme’ is ‘meme.iofficial’)
  • Now searching ‘meme.’ shows that these usernames (last one being meme.iofficial) will stay in the search results, but anything outside the range of a - i after the period doesn’t show up
  • So searching ‘meme.j’ will reveal a new username, looping back to the first part of the bug report

Tagging issue:
If you try to tag a username in your caption, and that username has a special character (underscore or period) in it, it will not show up in the suggestions list at all

Example:

• Trying to tag account ‘meme.avi’ in caption
  • typing ‘memes’ will show their username there
  • then typing ‘meme.’ will hide all the username suggestions
5 Likes

I’ve noticed the underscore issue as well. Seemed to come up quite a bit in the closed beta

1 Like

Same with numbers in a username too.

1 Like