Unnecessary Updates

A lot of big name apps tend to eventually disregard the simplicity that made their apps so popular. For example, Instagram began creating countless useless update after update and eventually ended up taking away chronological timeline order (without even the option to turn it back on) and even added an Explore option that, for a while, only helped already large accounts get more likes & visits. Other prime examples are Tumblr (understandably) and Kik (which basically killed itself). So I guess what I’m saying is that updates are nice but when they change major things and majority of the users are against it it kinda ruins what originally was so fun about the app. Intensely prays this won’t eventually be the case here

16 Likes

Yeah, the fact that most people are not aware of these changes and then suffer when things are different is not pleasant. Definitely need something for creators and users alike

8 Likes

Thanks dez heffmon

6 Likes

Snapchat did just this with their stories update and were forced by the users lash back to changed in again and now everyone is used to it, but at first me and every one of my friends hated it

8 Likes

The Byte team listens to us. They’ll know if we don’t like an update.
But right now…they need to be given the chance to experiment, explore and expand the app as they see fit. They’ve earned that right. :100:#ResearchSeasonalFeatures

6 Likes

Definitely agree but my post is aimed at unnecessary updates that almost 90% of the users hate and have no choice but to adapt to or leave the app. It’s just annoying that we gave the teams and companies our support just for them to do whatever they feel like & not even give us the option to revert these drastic changes.

4 Likes

I could’t agree with this more from a user point of view, but at the end of the day it’s about making money. Facebook wants to squeeze instagram for all its worth so they’re using that algorithim based model so you’ll stay longer on the app and click their ads. I don’t like it, but I guess it’s working since they’re tens of billions of dollars

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. Vine was to simple imo, it didn’t even have DMs. I don’t like leaving to go to others apps, I appreciate when everything is just built into one app but it has to make sense for the product and it has to be down right.

3 Likes

Instagram is the only thing keeping Facebook alive. Everyone hates Facebook but you’d be surprised how many people don’t know they own Instagram and have since like 2011 lol. Instagram doesn’t even like Facebook, their constantly having leadership issues and problems getting along. I was reading an article about IGTV, that some executives at IG had to fight for that because Facebook want people to use products and services like facebookWATCH (streaming service).

4 Likes

There’s probably some truth to that, but I have FB and the feed is still pretty alive. I’ll admit, it’s the older generation people using it, but plenty of people are still using it. As far as IG and FB having quarrels I’m not surprised. I see it this way, the CEO Mark Zuckerburg has made this website from scratch since 2004, and now it’s one of the most profitable companies in the world. Figuratively speaking it’s his baby, so he wants to do everything in his power to keep FB alive.

4 Likes