[TW: Suicide] Safety on Byte

We strive to make Byte a safe place for everyone that’s on it. For the most part I think we’ve done a good job at that so far. That’s not to say we can’t learn more or that we can’t do more — we must — but I’m proud of our track record up until now in maintaining safety while making sure people generally feel free to post what they’d like to post.

I wanted to take a minute to point out a specific part of our Community Guidelines:

Don’t promote self injury, including but not limited to: suicide, cutting, and eating disorders. You may share your experiences to raise awareness or provide support around these issues, but be mindful not to glorify or encourage these behaviors in doing so.

While we take action to varying degrees against most forms of abuse that we’re made aware of, I wanted to be clear about our policy here. Due to its seriousness, when it comes to this form of abuse we have zero tolerance.

It doesn’t matter what the context is, who is involved, who started it, or whether or not it’s retaliatory: there is simply no excuse for it. Period.

If you’ve received or have seen this sort of abuse:

First, I’m sorry and we should have caught it before it got to you. Although we work on getting better at this every day, we still have a lot of work to do. If you can, please report it to us through the app and it will be reviewed, and if applicable, we will take action. If you need to escalate a report, please email us at hello@byte.co. The forums are not an appropriate place for reporting or discussing specific instances of abuse.

Second, please do not go for tit for tat. I understand how difficult this can be if you’re receiving abuse yourself, or see it happening to a friend but that does not make it okay. No matter what has happened, you don’t know who is on the other side of the screen.

If you, a friend, or a loved one are in need of help — or would like emotional support — you can reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1–800–273–8255 or SuicidePreventionLifeline.org to chat with someone online.

36 Likes