Triller Sued for copyrighted content

While byte is far from being in the spotlight, copyright should be a concern for byters.
It may be in bytes’ best interest to limit copyrighted material.

7 Likes

Yeah I kinda hate the mentality of “it’s only 16 seconds of the song and I’m not making money from it so it’s fine”. Nah. Artists should get payed when their music is used.

I’m not too pleased by bytes attitude on this matter since they incorporated the sounds feature because it increased the rate at which people are using copywritten music. By contrast, the byte beats program was excellent because they were actively paying for rights to music.

It would be great to see byte add a content id system in a few years like what YouTube has

8 Likes

Wouldn’t any of my videos be considered fair use technically? Would that apply to byte after me as fair use in general?

And totally I’m for artists being paid, obviously. My question is just out of curiosity of the rules.

With that said, I know YouTube and some other platforms have no concern for fair use and your video can get slammed for fair use without any proof provided towards it

1 Like

this is just fluff. Right now triller has over 65 million users so this is just wixen just trying to get a piece of the pie. Im not surprised

1 Like

Yeah I am absolutely in support of fair use, but I would say most of the copywritten music on byte does not fall under fair use because it isn’t transformative or parody or commentary beyond “this sound lives rent free in my head”

From https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/:

In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner.

I only saw a couple times you uploaded music and they both seemed like fair use to me.

This is informative. By that definition I can see how sounds are mostly used as background music and that doesn’t fly. I don’t know how this translates to when I use music to guide a joke, but the joke isn’t directed towards the piece itself.

I don’t think I can ever fully understand each case by case question of what is fair use, but I know more today than yesterday

1 Like

Yeah it can get difficult. The best solution would be for byte to figure it out rather than relying on every individual Creator to know how copyright works.

Tiik took makes deals with record labels. That’s a good option but expensive.

YouTube also makes deals and has the content id system. Another good option but also expensive and also takes a lot of programming to do well. But it would be really cool if sounds were credited to who actually created them instead of just the person who uploaded it first. It would also help eliminate isolated duplicates of the same sound

1 Like

This is definitely a big deal for byte as well. It’s a good time to think about this now. The TikTok model of working with labels is easily the best, but that’s not easy to achieve. As long as they avoid Facebook’s straight up muting of audio, it’s better than fearing a lawsuit.

It’s important to note that byte is protected from what its users upload. Yet, this may not extend to the use of the sounds functionality.

Sounds are a tricky place, best case scenario is we play it safe, if content is flagged as copyrighted then the sounds feature should be turned off for that byte.

The byte won’t lose its sound but other users won’t be allowed to use it for their own content.

3 Likes

Yeah turning off the option to reuse is like the least someone can do

my dumbass using copyrighted songs in my bytes now fearing that I can get us all sued
download (21)

4 Likes