Today’s youtube monetization changes

if you’re affected by these changes, can you please elaborate on what you’re losing? want to understand this space more.

77 Likes

The main thing we’re losing is the ability to monetize our videos. As YouTube pointed out most of the people affected didn’t make $100 in the year to even cash out.

What’s more worrisome is the algorithm. Monetization is a suspected ranking factor so when you get demonetized or can’t monetize, you’re not promoted as you would if you were able to monetize your videos.

I can’t confirm this yet, but I’ve seen speculation that we’ll lose the ability to schedule videos.

EDITED: Custom thumbnails have been confirmed by YouTube that they’ll still be available.

32 Likes

my understanding is the thumbnails will still work. the algorithm stuff is interesting, thank you. if it was previously not enough to cash out, is it more of a philosophical issue on that side of things?

30 Likes

I read that about the thumbnails too. If you’re under 1000 subs, you can’t customize them. It seems more & more like they’re making it harder for the little guy, & easier for those already in the public eye.

24 Likes

I think the best YouTuber to have a grasp of this is Philip DeFranco

18 Likes

Yes for sure!

3 Likes

Well, YouTube is down in too many ways, the little channels win like 3 euro in 3 months now, thats a big change.

5 Likes

SO upsetting, I finally get to the minimum and now the do this to me, it’s not giving Upcoming creators a fair chance at it. Shame on YT for doing this to us all

5 Likes

YouTube demonetizes your video at the point it gets the most views, right when you post it, so the creators who use this as a living don’t get that bonus that they should have been given!

6 Likes

So many youtubers are being demonetised and it’s really affecting them. Most of them rely on this to make a living -apart from brand deals- so maybe v2 would have to incorporate brand deals and ads to pay the more followed/liked/looped viners

7 Likes

We’re losing the ability to monetize our videos. As a smaller YouTuber the ability to.monetize your videos means a lot for the creation of them. The money from the videos can help with things to entertain viewers/upgrading software’s and things for better filming and editing.

6 Likes

I think it is a big philosophical thing. 4000 hours of watch time is a really large amount for creators who don’t make ten hour long videos and don’t have 10k subscribers. The new rules promote clickbait culture now more than ever. I’ve worked really hard on my channel and I have been really proud of it. Being a YouTube partner made me feel important and valued. stripping so many of us as creators of those titles is incredibly disheartening.

18 Likes

This sort of reminds me of 2011-12 era YouTube where getting monetization was a privilege. You had the option to either go through a MCN like Fullscreen (easier route; lower requirements) or get partnered directly with YouTube. Then, YT just made it available to everyone including features like custom thumbnails.

6 Likes

I think that YouTube is using this as a way to protect their popular accounts by punishing the smaller ones trying to gain content. Justice?

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is the reason why many have moved on to Patreon.

6 Likes

Youtube has already made a statement saying that the creators features, like custom thumbnails, will not change. https://twitter.com/YouTube/status/953621985917112320

4 Likes

Basically theyre demonotizing smaller channels. They’ve repeatedly screwed new creators over. A new addition not a lot of people are talking about is creating an elite advertising service to specifically allow huge creators to sell specific ad space instead of it being randomized like it has been. The whole thing kinda sucks, especially because you can have a video do really well and go viral, and not see any profit from it. I was making about 8 dollars a mknth on YT and my account will be demonotized unless I gain a bunch of subs. Some channels make content that people wouldnt specifically subscribe to, but still gain views and revenue, like reviewers and many how-to channels

7 Likes

YouTube doing this as a business decision makes sense and it doesn’t. It’s been pointed out how they contradicted themselves in the blog post about why they’re doing it. On one side, they said they’re doing it to better distribute the money and protect creators but on the other side they pointed out how the people who are affected aren’t getting the money anyway. I get it. There are some people who make videos because they genuinely enjoy it and aren’t trying to make a buck. (Compensation for hard work is nice, but it’s not something that should be expected imo)

If it didn’t completely crush the smaller creators in the algorithm, I personally wouldn’t care about losing this status. But there are plenty of creators who have explored the ranking speculation in regards to monetization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3H8D2LrLHc

6 Likes

The new changes seem to only be affecting the smaller youtubers, making it harder and harder for smaller channels to grow. Knowing that most of my videos won’t be monitized just discouraged me to create but also seems unfair.

6 Likes

i don’t know what to do now, since I worked really hard, and gained a small audience. And now they do this. It is a realy big low for youtube, especially with things that recently happened (not mentioning names, but you know what you tuber I’m talking about) they should be wanting to help Upcoming creators, not make it impossible to do things, to start a career

4 Likes