Tip: External editing for near-perfect audio loops

For important (and mostly unavoidable) reasons that we’ll go over another time, Byte alters video files when loading them in order to prepare them for seamless looping. Vine did this as well.

Because of this, you will generally experience that some of your audio is “cut off” or garbled when you import it. If you have audio that is already designed to loop perfectly, you can make the following changes to get a near perfect loop:

Technique 1 for 30 FPS videos

Add 3 frames (aka 0.1s) to both the beginning and end of the video.

Technique 2 for 60 FPS videos

Add 6 frames (aka 0.1s) to both the beginning and end of the video.

Technique 3 (for complex audio, non-30/60 FPS video, or if the above doesn’t work)

1. Start with your intended audio loop, and make sure it’s no longer than 7.8s
  2. Copy 150ms of audio from the beginning of the loop and append it to the end
  3. Assuming you started with a 7.8s file, it should now be 7.95s
  4. Add 50ms of silence to the beginning of the file
  5. The file should now be 8s

Use this audio as the basis for your video (and make sure the video track is the same length as the final audio file), and you should get a near perfect audio loop.

We’ll work on making this easier and less necessary in the future.

92 Likes

Very helpful tips, thanks. :grin:

7 Likes

thank you dom, very cool!

6 Likes

Thanks for this!

6 Likes

thanks for the tip :cowboy_hat_face:

12 Likes

I’m curious if following this procedure will allow for looping on iOS even if it is uploaded on an Android device ?

5 Likes

Thanks for this Dom :grin:

3 Likes

editing tips :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

phannies of 2018 will understand lmao

3 Likes

it should

5 Likes

videos seem to loop differently on android and ios.

if i post a perfect loop on android, it cuts too short when playing it back on ios.
the same vice versa, a perfect loop posted from ios doesn’t loop on android, but does on ios

will this be fixed to make them loop exactly the same on both OS?

5 Likes

we’re currently working on trying to get them as close as possible. they were not the same on vine but we’re trying to do a better job on byte

10 Likes

this is in the top of the thread but just to repost it:

7 Likes

sounds good👍🏻 thank you!

i remember on my really old crappy android (i think it was a samsung galaxy s3 mini) back in the days of vine, it wouldn’t loop at all, just cut completely at the end. but i rarely used my phone for vine anyway

5 Likes

the android update today should have looping behavior that is very similar to the iOS looping behavior. very excited about this because we never quite cracked this at vine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

15 Likes

OMG this is why you are the best !!! :heart_eyes: We all Love You Dom :blue_heart:

3 Likes

You the legend.

3 Likes

it’s great! i just went back and watched a recent loop of mine and it’s almost perfection :grin: excited to test it some more.

congrats on cracking it guys! :tada:

3 Likes

Game changer, we love you guys and all your hard work :two_hearts: thank you!!

3 Likes

This is incredible! thank you Dom :smile:
Moving past the old, and coming in with the new :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Any tips for loops lasting longer than 6.3 seconds? I have one or two that I have been working on, and it looks like video is cut out too (unless I’m bad at looping, but who knows :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes