TikTok Controversy and Status

So I noticed in the Google Play store that tik toks app rating bombed from around 4.5 a few days ago to now 2.6 stars. Found an article about it (https://m.republicworld.com/technology-news/apps/tiktok-rating-down-on-play-store.html) and it seems to be due to an Indian youtuber who made a video about the app and then it got taken down along with other scandals. Seems like a complicated situation but wow.

16 Likes

Wow! Wonder what will happen once byte is available in countries like India! That YouTuber and his subs may prefer byte over tik tok :man_shrugging: Really interesting to see how much of an impact that people from India have on tik tok. If a lot of them don’t like it, they can really do some damage with the ratings and the app can lose a lot of people

14 Likes

True. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with this or if it won’t be that big a deal in the long run

3 Likes

Plot twist: that Indian youtuber was me :eyes:

22 Likes

Also first time I’ve ever seen byte have a higher rating that tik tok so that’s cool

7 Likes

Looks like Maddy finally woke up :eyes::eyes: I was gonna make a forum post about this later, I had it on my to-do list, but looks like you beat me to it >:(

3 Likes

:sob::sob::sob:I’m sorry please write a comment tho I’m sure you’d be more in depth than me just linking an article

1 Like

the hero we needed all along

1 Like

God the ratio of 1 to 5 star reviews is shocking they did a NUMBER on them

5 Likes

One small step for Indians, one giant leap for Byte :smirk:

19 Likes

It’s no secret that I hate TikTok, so here we go :^)

So, from my understanding:

An Indian TikToker named Amir Siddiqui made a TikTok where he called out a bunch of Indian YouTubers who were making reaction videos roasting TikTok content and calling it cringe. This turned into a “YouTube vs TikTok” thing in India. One of the people he called out was CarryMinati (a famous Indian YouTuber). So CarryMinati made a response video in which he roasted Amir Siddiqui. This video broke one or two records too I think (Indian non-music video with the highest likes or something). But in a few days, the video got taken down by YouTube, because it was spreading hate or something along those lines.

A bunch of people are debating whether or not it was YouTube or TikTok that took the video down, so they started review bombing TikTok; personally, I’m on YouTube’s side, they’ve deleted videos before but they wouldn’t delete drama like this (just petty fun and roasting), where they keep drama up all the time (iDubbbz, Drama Alert, Leafy).

This was definitely TikTok making a targeted takedown for CarryMinati’s criticisms, and I’m glad that people are finally making a stand against TikTok’s blatant censorship. All TikTok really is doing is proving his point that it’s full of censorship and clear forms of oppression, among other things. Also, don’t forget that its content algorithms actively seek to filter out social and racial minorities (if you haven’t heard of that before, read their lawsuit where they actively filtered out queer, disabled, and overweight creators): https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/technology/2019/12/tiktok-disabled-users-videos-suppressed.amp

12 Likes

Wow his video has 35 mill in 1 day

11 Likes

I mean, if queer slurs were used in the video, I’m definitely fine with it being taken down.

5 Likes

True but I doubt that’s why it was actually taken down

1 Like

giphy

1 Like

Well this is not surprising all of a sudden, after all, Tik Tok is just a pile of junk with the same contents over and over again. Anything original, is barely even famous, but something stolen? Gets popular crazily.

5 Likes

Is that why @Furkanaibani is always reporting this on Savage news btw… best plug btw :joy:

Yeah…

1 Like

And yet, at least half of my classmates are all over it :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hah, you’re not the only one, pal.

Every time I talk about Byte near my friends, one jackass would come in and say “Uh, Tiktok is better and is the new Vine”

like gtfo, TikTok is Musical.ly, Byte is a spiritual successor.

3 Likes

Haha I know carryminati personally it was bad that his video was removed because of tiktokers as their community is strong in India more reports on a video removes the videos. Like one guy Faizu he has 15M followers on Instagram he told to report the video to his fans so if every tiktoker got that many followers that means the video is going down if they and their fans report

3 Likes