Tik Tok is vine without the Originality

I’m sorry but I have to get this off my chest. The entire purpose of Tik Tok is to recreate unoriginal content over and over again to give you the illusion of being the star. Furthermore Tik Tok recognizes its unoriginal content by promoting challenges which are literally just sitting in front of a camera doing nothing but having a digital filter on.

15 Likes

Honestly though

5 Likes

that’s what the app was made for though. its not youtube or twitch or anything like that, its just a lip syncing app. the content may not be interesting but there’s nothing wrong with making it if that’s what you wanna do.
disclaimer:
im not saying there’s nothing wrong with tik tok by any means. obviously they’ve had their fair share of controversy which i don’t know enough about to comment on

8 Likes

I hate tiktok too because it doesnt award originality in any way and honestly discourages unique personalities in its users. I cant wait for it to die one day and for people to realize that theres more value in being yourself than being ‘popular’.

10 Likes

True there is a more scripted approach at tiktok but i never get a :vine: vibe from it. It seems so scripted or staged since most go with words or a certain beat to the music. :vine: had some that were written out ideas but most seemed like straight from the brain onto camera. Dont get any :vine: vibes from tiktok, only cringe ngl. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

I’m not saying ur right but I understand :joy:

5 Likes

I hate to break it to you, but, Vine had loads of crap on it, too. That doesn’t mean there weren’t funny and talented people on Vine, there were lots. There are also lots of funny and talented people on TikTok, some sing, some dance, some make funny skits, some are amateur filmmakers, there are even some doing looping, short videos just like Vine.

Byte is going to be very attractive to a lot of people on TikTok when it’s publicly released, better to make them feel welcome instead of mocking them if we want the byte family to grow.

16 Likes

^^ this

8 Likes

What’s with all of the Tik Tok hate and the constant comparisons to vine?

Understand what made vine special was the fact that the users made it into something original. @dom and the other creators of vine created it with a different intention in mind. They did not expect it to be what it involved into. However when vine got extremely popular you had both of the “talented” individuals and the “rest”.

As @TomWho mentioned, there are a lot of talented creators on Tik Tok as well.

6 Likes

I get where everyone is coming from. Sorry, I made this post after being around people who were saying that Tik Tok was a godsend of original funny content and it slightly aggravated me. Vine wasn’t perfect and not a single video platform is or ever will be. Where there are funny original people there are cringe unoriginal people and vice versa.

3 Likes

I feel like if tik tokers came to Byte they will see what it’s like to make original content, and will decide that they can do the same. So maybe with Byte, we can be the ones to change peoples mindset about content creation.

4 Likes

No worries, bashing TikTok is done a lot here and on the app with lots of applause, so it’s natural for others to join in.

But I truly think that there are a lot of creative people on TikTok who are tired of it and don’t like what’s happening with the app lately. They hate all the huge celebrities jumping on the app who are sucking all the oxygen out of the room for the smaller creators. As a result, I’m pretty certain there will be a huge exodus of people from TikTok to byte once it’s open to the public. And it will likely be the more creative people coming over to byte. That’s why I think we should welcome them and encourage other TikTokers to join them. The more the merrier!

4 Likes

Tik Tok culture (and meme culture in general) thrive on remakes, trends, and “ripoffs” of other videos. That’s fine because that’s the culture of that app (like @distinctlycurbed said, it’s basically a lip syncing app), but I agree that I want Byte to be different.

Vine was amazing because of how much original content came out of it, and how iit changed the game (YouTube and Tik Tok would be very different today if Vine didn’t exist).

I think the general sentiment that you have (and a lot of us have) is that we hope Byte contains mostly original content. On Tik Tok, it’s commonplace to copy other videos shot for shot, joke for joke, without credit and it’s accepted as normal. On Byte, it would be great if we could create a culture of crediting (I personally like to use #remake or IB (inspired by) if I’m riffing on someone else’s idea).

@TomWho is correct that a lot of us in the beta post Bytes making fun of Tik Tok (I do this). My intention with these Bytes is not to hate on Tik Tok per se, but merely to discourage people from posting Tik Tok content with Tik Tok logos. Why would people wanna use Byte if it’s just full of Tik Toks?

I know one creator in the beta who posts two versions of her videos. On Byte, she posts a classic Vine-style skit. But on Tik Tok, she posts the exact same skit, except the audio’s been replaced with a trending song, and she puts colorful subtitles on screen so you know what she’s saying. These Tik Toks get thousands of views.

This is AWESOME, in my opinion. She is tailoring her content to different apps. Her Bytes feel like Bytes and her Tik Toks feel like Tik Toks even though it’s the same skit! That’s an example of someone doing it right. She’s respecting both apps’ cultures and playing to their strengths.

@TomWho is also right that there are plenty of talented Tik Tokers who hopefully will bring a lot of good to Byte. We just have to maintain a culture of crediting where credit’s due. That just requires some friendly peer pressure - if you see someone post a Byte that’s obviously a “stolen” joke or remake and they don’t credit it, politely call it out in the comments (and don’t forget to give people the benefit of the doubt… let’s stay positive #bytefam ).

3 Likes

All great points, Brendan. And I agree about people posting their TikTok vidoes on byte, I don’t ever like or watch those videos because it’s lazy content taken from another app. I’ve done the same as the person who makes two versions of a video, one for byte and one for TikTok if I think it’ll translate well. Nothing wrong with that at all, but posting your TikTok videos on byte with the watermark is tacky.

3 Likes

Today, I was watching byte beta videos with my friend and we were laughing so hard. Just recently I was on tik tok and that whole vibe on there is just bad. Yeah there’s some funny stuff but it’s just overcrowded with horrible boring content

2 Likes

Agreeddd. I’m excited for byte to have more good content then compared to Tik tok where there’s an overwhelming amount of bad content

2 Likes

Lol dude, I saw some of ur bytes and they’re pretty funny. Hope when the app gets released ur one of the OGs that blows up

2 Likes

TYSM!! That means a lot :pray::pray:

3 Likes