Hey guys, I just started college earlier this year so I’m in my second semester as a freshman. There are a few things that I wished that people would have told me before I attended and things I wish I knew that I want to share with you guys just in case you’re about to attend college.
- It’s okay if you don’t know what you want to do. My first semester I was a meteorology major. I love the weather but I saw how hard and difficult it was to study it as it involved a lot of math/physics so I changed my major to journalism. I am much more happier and I don’t regret switching. My point is that, everyone will find out what they want to do some point in their college career even if it’s much later on than the average student.
- Don’t force relationships. I was stressing sooo much about gaining friends and what not in the first few weeks of college. My social anxiety was real bad and I’m normally an introvert so to try to force these relationships was hard for me. I realized that it’s ok if I don’t have friends right away. I just enjoyed the people who I had in the here and now and I let the new friends come naturally. There is no need to stress over gaining friends. They will happen, it may take a while, it may be quick. It’s different for everyone, but don’t worry about that.
- You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate. A common misconception I see is that most people become “bffs” with their roommate. That is not totally true. I believe that as long as you have a nice relationship with them, it’s fine. Kinda like number 2, try not to force things. Just let it happen naturally.
- Procrastination…it’s wild. I procrastinate wayyy more in college than in High School because my college schedule is less structured. To help prevent procrastination, I suggest having some sort of notebook to write the stuff you have to do down so everything is a bit more organized.
- Remember, you’re there for a good education and not to party 24/7. I wish someone told me that before I entered college because I was constantly debating in my mind to force myself or not to go to parties and yes it’s a great experience and everyone should go to them in college, but you don’t necessarily “have to” attend them all the time.
- DO NOT compare yourself to your friends. This was a huge issue with me in the first two weeks of college. I constantly looked at Snapchat and saw how much fun my high school friends were having in college while I was just being sad in my dorm room. It’s hard to not compare yourself with others, but once you do, it feels great.
- Motivation slows down a bit in college or for me at least. Having Friday off and not having back to back classes makes me a little bit unmotivated to attend certain classes. It’s okay to have a day or two to relax, but you just need to remind yourself that your parents didn’t pay all this money or you didn’t pay all this money for you to just sit around and do nothing all day. Remember the end goal of getting a good career and a good job and you’ll do great
Overall, I struggled like really struggled in my first semester of college, but I learned some valuable lessons. Hopefully you guys can take advantage of what I said because I wish I’ve known these things before I attended college!