The series feature (Streamlining multipart bytes)

With short term videos being somewhat limiting, many turn to making multiple parts to convey the entirety of their idea. My proposal is to streamline this process with Byte Series.

If implemented you could mark a post “Part One”, then the next part two and so on. This would allow anyone viewing the content on their mix to have a shortcut to the next part. Kinda like when a YouTuber links another video in the description but this would be baked into the app. See images below:

You could also hide individual series from your byte profile page, especially if it’s only 2 or 3 parts long.

21 Likes

dis man is a genius

5 Likes

This is quite nice. I have a couple ideas for videos that are like “sequels” to ones I’ve already made. But, they wouldn’t make much sense out of context. This could really help.

3 Likes

It’s especially prevalent on tiktok where people upload tons of content and it near impossible to find a part 2 to an older post. Or if they ever even made one.

1 Like

We should call it a string (programming term)

4 Likes

omg :brain:

3 Likes

@dom I know most of my ideas are kinda … eh. But I really think you could run with this.

I’ve actually been planning out a series, this would be a great idea to add!

1 Like

this is a great idea. :smiley:

1 Like

This is amazing

1 Like

this is some big brain energy right here

1 Like

This is the idea that has been missing. I like making series, and I do not really see people doing them. This would be great and pretty simple to keep them connected. It is also a great alternative to a longer time.

1 Like

Potentially the mix would only show Part one of a series and allow people to swipe left to see the next one while not leaving the mix page.

They tested this during beta. Many hated it.

@onkelchrispy … is there a particular reason why people hated this. It seems pretty harmless. The app has changed quite considerably over the past year, I wouldn’t dismiss this idea.

1 Like

could this not maybe be used to circumvent the idea of bytes being restricted in length?

1 Like

That’s kinda the point, for the purests that cannot handle 60 sec vids this would be 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐺𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡 𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒.

3 Likes

i think that may point towards the reason as to why this was disliked in beta then, a feature built with its main purpose to circumvent one of the main elements of byte is not going to be well received

@RobUK

1. In the byte beta they utilized the 6.5 second architecture. Now that bytes are 16 seconds we can convey way more information thus more complex topics are being brought up on byte.

2. People on byte will continue to make multi part series, but it @dom approves this it could make the process so much easier.

3. In the likely event that tiktok is banned, Byte has a good chance of going 60 secs to keep up. So inna sense this is the best alternative.
    We could at least try it inna beta to see how other users respond. B/c tbh we aren’t all purists.

1 Like

i mean i always like to approach ideas with an open mindset so i personally would have no objection to this series feature being tested

the so called purists may be an issue for you however passion is a very beautiful thing and a lot of these people have been on the app for a very long time and do not want to see it fathom too far from what has gotten it to where it is today… as long as those purists approach new implementations with an open mind and can understand why change happens then they are hardly a hinderance

2 Likes