The Misuse of Channels/Categories

So, as a pet lover, I frequent in the Pets category on Byte! Love to see all the cute dogs, cats, burbs, and other furry animals. What I do not like seeing is people posting content that is not related to a specific channel… Ie. Posting a comedy byte in the chill channel. I have noticed that the Pets channel is doing pretty bad regarding this, and when scrolling down 10 posts Id find at least 1 that was unrelated to pets. If you know, you know.

Would there be a way to fix this as Im not happy with the fact that some people are abusing this feature??

Thanks

15 Likes

Yeah that’s how it is always especially in the early stages of an app. I’ve seen quite a bit of unrelated stuff on the ART category as well. As if it wasn’t hard enough for an artist on a comedy based app. Lol oh well. I’m sure it’ll regulate itself like Vine did back in the day.

8 Likes

Are you referring to the Furries?

9 Likes

Im referring to anyone misusing the channel/categories. Not furries specifically, but I have noticed quite a few furries in the pet section. (I have nothing against furries, but I feel as though using the Pets section is not ok…) Same thing goes for the chill section, where people are posting sketches, and comedy bytes.

8 Likes

I think the furies thing was a joke. I hope :weary:

2 Likes

A lot of people on byte have been talking about the furries! I’ve yet to see any tho! So that must be a good thing right? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of video comments from people who really do not like the furries posting their videos in pets :smile: but it’s actually the most relevant channel for them. Posting comedy that has nothing to do with animals or pets I can understand not wanting that there.

There will probably be new and modified channels in upcoming releases. Maybe the furries would feel more at home on an Anime channel.

5 Likes

Tends to happen during launch days :frowning: hopefully as the spammers get weeded out it changes!

3 Likes

But its not the most relevant channel for them. Furries are humans in animal fursuits, not actual dogs, cats, etc. If you make a comedy byte, it should be in comedy, not pets. If you make a chill byte it should be in chill, not food. People arent pets. Hopefully, they will feel more welcome in the anime category, but im not a fan of the fact that furriers are in the pets section.

4 Likes

People aren’t pets is undeniably true so yeah. Idk if there is anything that can be done beside letting it work itself out tho

2 Likes

But they look like pets

1 Like

But they really dont. They look like humans

4 Likes

I hope features to prevent intentional abuse come up as need be. Categorization can be a bit of a tricky thing, though, especially with similar categories. How do we define Weird vs Experimental? Beauty vs Style? My biggest worry, as an animator, is the Animation category getting flooded with anime montages. I’ve seen some wonderful animations buried in Art because they want to stress they’re original content.

7 Likes

I think both sides have valid points. I wonder if there could be an “everything else” or misc category that would be an option for posts that don’t necessarily have a home anywhere else.

2 Likes

I don’t think tat content close to one category or another will have issues. But what’s very clear, like a video without animals at all in the pets category, or a video without a single attempt at being funny in the comedy channel… those are things that in the future are going to be moderated

Hopefully they’ll add an Anime channel for the anime edits floating around to not drown the Art bytes

5 Likes

I try to be sensitive to the furry community. My sense is that there would be a good category name that would lead them in, but I’m not in tune enough to know what that might be. Has anyone considered maybe asking a furry what category would speak to them?

2 Likes

I agree with this, my passion is animation/stopmotion/comics, and right now, the Animation category is filled with animation montages and edits (there should be an Edit category?).

And hey, I’ve found another fellow animator here! mine is @shallwestory on Byte, and I will make sure to follow you and see your animation content!

4 Likes

I absolutely despise the animation channel. People are just doing those speedy edits of Anime cartoons and pushing original crafted content off the feed. Hoping something can be done to solve this!

2 Likes

OMG I didn’t even read your comment but it’s exactly the same as what I’ve just added underneath :joy:

2 Likes