The Memes page is already filled with reposts

I mean, yeah, I used to repost, but that was only to try and break through the floods of skit vids in the comedy page before the Memes page ever became a thing. But now, lots of people are stealing from Instagram and posting those memes to Byte. I just find reposting lazy, unoriginal, and like-thirsty. I stopped doing it, so others should stop too. We want Byte to be known for it’s original content and original memes, not to just be another meme dump like Instagram or TikTok.

1 Like

This was bound to happen anyway. As much as people can attempt to make new memes, there will always be reposts

7 Likes

And it’s best to just try and drown those out with your own original memes. But the thing is, that I don’t want to see people becoming wildly popular from other people’s work.

1 Like

i mean, for me personally it’s hard to make memes, so sometimes you just repost. i havent myself but ive thought about it

2 Likes

This was expected to occur :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Give it some more time. This just means everyone is aware of it now.

1 Like

Sounds like we need some sort of law-enforcement organization to police these memes.

7 Likes

That’s…what the vast majority of memes are? Reposts. Generally, they’re edited by the reposter but…this is what was always going to happen with a meme section.

6 Likes

What I mean is just blatantly stealing other people’s memes with the watermark still intact.

yup. it’s easier to just lift it with no work put in than it is to “steal a skit”, because even with the stealing of the skit, you have to reperform it.
Because memes don’t generally visually include the content creator in it, it’s easier to just take. A lot of “meme” accounts out there, including super big popular ones, regardless of platform, just take others content and post it- see, big “meme” twitter accounts, see “meme” facebook pages, see “meme” youtube channels/compilations, see Instagram “meme” accounts, see Tumblr “meme” accounts, see the reddit “meme” subreddit. It happened everywhere else- why would it not happen here?

2 Likes

memes are reposts tho… like…didn’t we literally just finish this discussion?
And if I remember correctly…please hold

3 Likes

imo, until a fresh organic meme is created out of the blue (kinda along the lines of Bidoof and Kathy Bates) this was expected to happen. memes aren’t like factory made, they naturally show up out of nowhere and then get used everywhere if they’re good/viral enough

4 Likes

Spiderneef meme incoming.

1 Like

if I become a meme then I will die a happy Neef

2 Likes

I mean…he who giveth said it himself

9 Likes

I made original memes but the old ones seem to get way more traction. Plus so far mine are all byte related so maybe that’s my issue. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Don’t worry, :slight_smile: soon, pls jail

4 Likes

pls jail is our slogan pac

6 Likes

I thought pls ban was :eyes:

4 Likes

Both. Solidly both.
pls jail. pls ban.

5 Likes