Text vs. captions and when to use them

Now that we’re shipping text overlays very soon (as soon as the app gets approved and in beta already), you should start using them instead of captions in most cases. They are significantly easier to read and look better when your byte is shared. You can add as many text overlays as you’d like and can also adjust their timing/duration by tapping on them and dragging the handle bars.

In comparison, captions are extremely difficult to read and often force you to look at a tiny corner of the post in order to get the context. In a future version we will hide or truncate most captions across the app, so now is a good time to start using text. Captions are fine for miscellaneous details, even more context, mentions, hashtags, etc. But text is better for the main stuff.

You all are the early adopters and new people to the app will emulate what you do, so let’s start changing this behavior together. :slight_smile:

P.S. Yes, we are working on more text options!

78 Likes

Yes I always put subtitles on my byte from an app but this video I used byte text and it looks really readable and cool

7 Likes

Also, we index the text so once we create a better search your bytes will be searchable even if all the text is in the overlay.

42 Likes

Are you serious? That’s innovative and brilliant idea :bulb: like damn :fire:

8 Likes

What if you post videos from your camera roll. Can you add text from that?

4 Likes

yep!

8 Likes

Alll riiighht! :grin::grin:

4 Likes

Cool, but how to do that if you’re an android user?

4 Likes

you’ll see it in the new version or you can download the android beta here: https://twitter.com/dhof/status/1249356199985926144?s=21

11 Likes

Woooooo looking forward to this! :metal::metal:

3 Likes

sensational

4 Likes

What I’ve been waiting for :hugs: thanks, you sir!!

2 Likes

This is the URL I’ve been waiting for my whole life <3

2 Likes

Here’s an unusual idea: If the captions will eventually disappear from videos, can everything that overlays on the video also disappear? Then either a tap anywhere on the video, or a tap on a small single button in the lower right corner, will make the icons and other information appear. This would let us put the text anywhere on the video without having to worry about it being partially hidden by the interface overlay.

Also, how would this work regarding hashtags? Will they still be clickable in text we add to videos using the text tool?

10 Likes

hashtags should still go in the caption. we’re going to add guides that make sure text stays in the “safe area” but the ideas for fading content are interesting!

21 Likes

This is awesome! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Really happy about the text options- although one difficult thing I’ve run into is that there’s no way to pause the loop (holding down like on published bytes doesn’t work). So when I’m trying to adjust the size/position of a piece of text timed to only appear for a portion of the time, I have to wait for the loop and then quickly grab the text before it disappears on its timer. Poor description but hopefully that makes sense.

6 Likes

I had the same experience with this. Perhaps could add like a “list of assets” so that you can select them? Otherwise it’s been great.

1 Like

thank you. overlays are easier to see!

yep good idea we’ve been messing with both that and a “ghost”, but felt like it was overly complicated for people. but maybe we can come up with a way to make it easy-ish :slight_smile:

9 Likes