Subtitles/Closed Captions

Hey @dom - saw your tweet the other day about potentially including subtitles as a feature in the app. Just wanted to voice my support for that 100% - they make much such a difference in my ability to hear/understand what people are saying, especially if there’s background noise or other sounds happening at the same time. I do see how they could be perceived as distracting, but I think they would be a great option for artists to have at their disposal. Anyone else have any thoughts about this? Ways to make them more natural/less obtrusive?

6 Likes

Another point:

• Deaf People will be able to enjoy Vines!
4 Likes

Yesssssssss it would give a warm welcome to deaf vine users i love the idea​:ear:t5::ear:t5::ear:t5::ear:t5: #VineForAll :100:

2 Likes

Exactly!

2 Likes

There’s another topic about it, search for it for more information about it. The other topic has a lot of answers.

1 Like

I love this idea so much!!! It’d be nice to welcome deaf users to the community. We could also watch vines & better understand them if we’re in a situation where we can’t hear well or listen out loud

1 Like

Hey man!!! Check this thread out, it’s pretty similar to yours! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Similar forum here

3 Likes

Behind this 100%! We all want v2 to be as inclusive as possible!

2 Likes

This would be very difficult for it to be implemented from the v2 side. It would have to be a manual entry from the creators.

I like subtitles.
But the only thing I hate about Subtitles is that they don’t display the dialogue at the right moment.

for example,
if the dialogue is " Yo…[silence for a few seconds] what’s up"
It just displays the “what’s up” immediately right after that.

This may seem overwhelming but when it comes to major sentimental or emotional dialogues, trust me, it’s so frustrating.

I hope v2 Fixes this problem

1 Like

Great idea! All inclusive too

1 Like

A big thing on Tumblr were accounts that transcribed vines. On top of making them a thousand times easier to search for, it allowed accessibility for hard of hearing and deaf viewers.

I think videos are short enough to allow for an option for the creator to transcribe on their own—not required—but why not? It’s six seconds. Additionally, opening up transcription to the user base (based on voting?)

Two Options: Audio only transcription and Audio transcription with [sound transcriptions].

1 Like

I think there should be a button to turn them on and off ( I would keep mine off, but I understand why people would want them) so that way we can choose

1 Like