Stolen Content

Maybe if somewhere in the video there is something similar to a “snap code” or “Spotify code,” and if somebody tries to repost a video, it could scan the code and not let them post it? Could be something small that flashes in the top right corner or something?

1 Like

Users being able to flag a video as stolen would be great, but there is always the probability of abuse.

1 Like

Exactly can’t count how many times somebody reposted my content and cropped or covered up my water mark

That sounds good in theory but that would be horrible for editors that want to download or rip content to use as part of their edit

I love this idea!

like Dom says, no matter what system is in place, people will find ways to steal. what’s important is to somehow harbor a community like Tumblr, that doesn’t take well to reposts without crediting the artist

2 Likes

A lot of this thread is kinda confusing to me and I know I’m going to need to know this info, so I’m getting nervous. I made a thread similar to this yesterday regarding my concern about ppl stealing old vines and uploading. I have a very popular old vine that I make $ off of and ppl do have to get permission to use it on any social media.
That’s why my only wish was to bring that one old vine with me to V2.
This specific vine literally has 41 million loops alone. And the 6 second YouTube video of it has 600k views. I do not want it stolen. :cry:

2 Likes

I’ll throw m 2 cents into the conversation, but I think watermarking the whole screen could be bad and weird since it will cover the screen.

Maybe the watermark could appear in the middle of screen for a few seconds maybe 1.5 seconds

This for me seems more simple for the developers to do in my opinion.

Would love to hear feedback from my opinion :smile:

1 Like

This is a great idea Dom. Give the user the ability to upload a transparent PNG but it would need to be burned on the file. Most of the stealing was coming from scraping the original file from the site so if it was just an overlay it may not solve the real problem.

1 Like

i like this idea! leave the idea up to the creators and let them decide.

that was my original post:" In order to solve the problem of people who take your content to put it on other social I think that each video should have the V2 logo on a corner with the name of the account that created it. In addiction it should be possible to add links on video for other social media to promote the creator of contents.
However the presence of the v2 logo and name of creator I think that is fundamental because it helps to involve more people into the app."
now I read this and I’m happy that someone had my same idea. maybe I have a good solution but you can find it a bit strange: in north korea they use the id that every file has adding to it the name of his creator and a way to track it. Something similar should be done but maybe it is a bit to extreme :rofl:
However the app musical.ly has a sort of icon, you can take a loot to its system

1 Like

I’m also on the belief that it would be best if credit was given to the original poster, but I understand that it would taxing on servers to have that kind of rendering for every video posted, and I agree with @ogvhs with maybe having a opt-in for a watermark, but have that all on the user’s end, instead of relying on server rendering.

1 Like

You could make it optional on the last step before uploading, then if selected it will add their username as the watermark down in the right hand corner. That would work if you use a username system because they’re the only one with that name so the only ones with that watermark. (kinda like a filter on ig or Snapchat)

1 Like

I thought of an idea where a program would recognize a repost using audio/video recognition, and then immediately recommend the original artist after the video finishes, with the original artist branded as the creator, not the reposter. Idk how feasible this program would be for an app that’s already going to be very ambitious.

(Edit: Watermarking can only do so much. Ik when I’m watching a video on Instagram, I don’t care about the watermark, and I certainly don’t bother looking up the creator on the off-chance I acknowledge a watermark. A clickable link that is shown after a video would make it easier for any viewer to discover the artist’s channel, and therefore more effective at promoting the original artist’s channel) @dom

2 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of clips from YouTube videos being snagged and re-uploaded (not fair use), and I think it’d be great if there was some sort of system where either the creator could claim it and add a link to the original video, OR the viewers could recognize it like “hey this v2 is from this video”, and send a notice. If enough people send notices that it’s stolen, a link would be added to the original. But that COULD be taken advantage of it people want to promote their Youtube videos, so they send their followers to submit false notices. There would have to be moderation of it.

Or if the video is from another v2, there could be a link at the bottom that links to the original(s). Decent people will credit when they do this, but if they don’t, maybe the creator could have the option to add the link. In the case of original v2s, whoever uploaded the identical footage first has the say in whether or not they want to add a link to the original

1 Like

I would say, maybe to start off with, have an option where users can upload their watermark onto their profile. Then work a feature where the watermark won’t be present at all until the video is being recorded/download whether it be through an app, website or screen capture? I would also say make the watermark big and obnoxious with the opacity set to something unreasonable such as 90%.

Maybe also add a feature where users can open certain videos to being able to be downloaded watermark free or with a tiny reasonable watermark? Maybe some users will want their videos to be reposted in an effort to go viral

1 Like

Watermarks can be helpful and sometimes it won’t. I’ve had my videos reposted with 20 million views and I didn’t get tagged but the watermark remained. If people want to find you, they’ll find you, people are just often too lazy to do a bit of searching. It’s important for the just-incase scenario…my buddy had his picture posted on worldstar ig and he didn’t watermark nor did he get tagged.

1 Like

For a couple days now I have been working on a program that would help with this. Using the same “algorithm” Snapchat used to know if you screenshot or screen record, I tweaked it to suit the needs of what it’s trying to solve. Say whenever you try to screen record a video, a full-screen watermark shows up. It’s not too visible that you cant see the video, but it’s visible enough, so If they repost it, it’s not possible to crop out. I also created a button where users can turn off the watermark, allowing it to be shared without credit. Note the watermark will only be visible if you attempt to record or screenshot. Let me know ideas below!!

5 Likes

^ This is a really good idea! @dom

1 Like

I think that one of the only solid ways to combat content stealing is a really good team of people to review flags. I know this costs more but it is definitely worth it if you allow no second chances.

1 Like