SpaceX and NASA About To Launch First Astronauts From US Since 2011

Today May 27th, SpaceX and NASA are expecting to launch the first astronauts (Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley) from US soil since 2011. This will also be the first time that a private, non-governmental company will launch astronauts into space to the ISS. The astronauts will launch from Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral.

We’re about to enter a new era in human spaceflight with a cheaper, modern and reusable rocket, say goodbye to Roscosmos’ Soyuz and say hello to SpaceX’s Crew Dragon! Are you excited for this special event in the history of human spaceflight?

For those who don’t know SpaceX, shame on you! The company’s CEO is our well-known and beloved meme lord, Elon Musk!

Important update:

The Demo-2 launch was scrubbed on May 27th due to unfavorable weather, ~15 minutes before T0, the next launch window will be on Saturday May 30th at 3:22 PM EDT (19:22 UTC). Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley will launch from the historic launch pad LC-39A. The coverage will begin about 4 hours before liftoff, just like on May 27th’s launch attempt.
More info

14 Likes

I also changed my pfp for this special occasion! :smile:

5 Likes

GO ASTRONAUTS GO!!! This is amazing.
Also, I’m really looking forward to Starlink.

3 Likes

A few months ago the Starlink ‘train’ passed over my house, it was absolutely beautiful!

2 Likes

Sweeeeeeet! I didn’t know you could see it from earth. I just checked out a video on YouTube and my mind is blown.

1 Like

Ikr! In fact, you can see a lot of satellites in the sky when it’s dark outside and you’re in an area with minor light pollution!

1 Like

Right. Like those photos from the desert when they shoot the milky way.
The good thing about quarantine is that there’s been less air pollution the past couple of months. Did you know that Space X had to coat the reflective surfaces of the satellites because the astronomers were complaining that the reflections were messing with their visuals. Only a company like Space X would go to that extent!

1 Like

Yes I did, I’m an astronomer myself! :grin:

1 Like

That’s awesoooooome! I just checked your profile. You’re from Planet BY-73.
Does that spell BYTE like BY73? lol

1 Like

Yes! :joy:

1 Like

Good luck to the crew! Elon Musk is the GOAT lol

3 Likes

Good Luck To The astronauts. Elon Musk Is a GENIUS when it comes to space (and also in memes)

1 Like

Damn I’m outa here 2020
-the astronauts probably

2 Likes

Lol :joy:

164,000 people are tuned in to the live telecast on YouTube

1 Like

Ariana Grande is hosting!
:laughing:

2 Likes

Lol

The launch is in 4 hours. I’m going to try and fight sleep. Going to edit a byte video in the meantime :+1:

1 Like

whats the goal of the launch?

1 Like

Getting 2 astronauts to the ISS.