Sounds and copyright

With the introduction on sounds, comes a heightened use of copyrighted music. This was, on a smaller scale, happening a little already.
What’s everyone’s feelings on this? Do you feel “no harm no foul, so long as the purpose isn’t to just upload someone’s song.” Or do you think people should still stick to just copyright free music/sounds

12 Likes

I think byte should create a content id system similar to YouTube in the future

1 Like

All sounds and music are copyright free regarding these posts on Byte.

There are already instance of copyright music being used

/tbh I recently used a snip-it (or skit) from an Alicia Keys song “You Don’t Know My Name” (that i didnt credit :grimacing:). But i’d wonder how, or if that could be copyright claimed. Either way maybe I should have credited the artist, because its only her voice.

I’m honestly leaning in this direction (for my situation at least)

Because, again, its her voice but i’m not using the full song or full skit.

Hopefully no one uses that sound seeing as i didn’t lock it…

I love my excuses, and backpedaling trying to justify covering my ass because I didn’t credit someone…

6 Likes

I have a subscription to get my beats that allows the use. The popular music I credit and with the sounds feature that’s very easy. I think that artists should have a right to claim them and take them down if they wish, but I’m not sure it’s a good look to go after those that are making 16 second loops and making no money from it.

Now if you are a partner and receiving monetary benefit that could be a problem. Maybe give the artist the option to claim any profits from those loops.

Copyrighted music is everywhere and it’s very difficult to protect those unless you act like YouTube and allow even one second of music to demonetize your entire video and give the profits to the artist. I believe it goes too far. Especially for larger artists. They would just be punishing their fans. And people will still have to purchase or stream to hear the entire song. It makes no sense to me to punish people for what is basically free promotion of your work when it’s not even a significant portion of the song.

And I say this with the knowledge that it is completely self-interested because I have a copyrighted song in Spotlight right now. :grimacing:

7 Likes

no, yea, one of my characters pretty much always uses the clue background music-pretty sure someone somewhere has that copyright.

1 Like

Yeah, and I pointed that out. But with sounds it’s become way easier, with anyone with a screenrecording able to use the sounds feature. And even if that weren’t the case, that doesn’t answer wether or not that’s a good thing.

1 Like

You can use upto 30 seconds of copyrighted music without having to get a license. Byte is 16 seconds so it falls under fair use

4 Likes

See, you’re a hero! Makes me wonder why YouTube are such Nazis about it. I once hummed a song and got a copyright claim. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I agree completely with everything you said

1 Like

Could you provide a source for this?

2 Likes

umm nah, source???

i remembered a couple of content creators got DMCA when they used music that were 6-8 sec.

1 Like

Companies can do whatever they want because YouTube needs advertisers to make money :joy:

1 Like

yeah, here;s an article saying that the 30 second thing is a myth: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/copyright-laws-30-seconds-music-61149.html#:~:text=You%20may%20have%20heard%20of,of%20music%20without%20copyright%20obligation.&text=The%2030-second%20fair%20use,a%20radio%20or%20television%20ad.

2 Likes

:crying_cat_face::broken_heart::brown_heart:

I think as long as the artist is credited, it should be fine. I am working on a heavily edited Byte with visuals by allintheory and sound by another artist who’s name escapes me atm. I have their names at the bottom of the Byte and am going to tag them at the top of my description.

tl;dr : credit artists whether it falls under fair use or not.

2 Likes

I can’t wait❣️

I hit a wall and am in the thought spiral of “oh god this wasnt worth. I put too much into it and no one likes it”. I’ll get over it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I mean copyright rules are REALLY really vague. So I think we’ll be fine because companies won’t really care that much unless byte starts making profit

2 Likes