Shortening byte descriptions

I’ve noticed that some like to elaborate to the fullest extent in their post descriptions. My idea is a simple “read more” button. The first 140 characters can be displayed as normal, after that it will be hidden until the user presses “read more”. (This means collapsible)

When writing a post description a notice when they reach 140 would be good.

Edit: Uploaded with different screenshot, that displays my own content.

5 Likes

Try enabling zen mode in settings to fix this “issue” right up. Also refrain from singling users out with shade by hiding pfps and usernames / faces. :ok_hand:t2:

6 Likes

Or just make it collapsible :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

:flushed: sorry for having something to say I’ll start posting recycled TikToks and other peoples content instead shall I

4 Likes

It’s JPH

3 Likes

These kids do love picking on me bless em

3 Likes

Apart from singling me out it’s not a bad idea

5 Likes

I guess we are allowed to go after and post about direct peoples accounts now? I mean I’ve made mention of a specific account and has my thread shut down? So I guess that rule is now gone?

5 Likes

I feel like the og poster used the screenshot as an example and doesn’t have any bad feelings towards the content creator😀

3 Likes

Would have been cooler if it was consensual.

3 Likes

Well don’t it’s clearly against forum rules and just bad etiquette

3 Likes

“Clearly,” no. Bad etiquette, yes. It’s a big “No, No” that moderators try, and uphold but not everyone see’s everything so specific request we’re given in earlier forum topics (not those written clearly in the FAQ) get looked over.

I’d message JPH, and ask him to remove the screenshot /tbh. It wasn’t necessary as an example for the topic.

6 Likes

I barely use the forum and idk how to I only popped in cos someone said there was a post about me , I’ll try and work it out thanks

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t think there was any intended malice. Just an oversight on their part. And it’s not even like they said the content was bad, they want to see more of the video and less of the text unless they actively click on the text, so it seems pretty harmless

7 Likes

I’m sorry for anyone who was offended by my screen shot in no way was I commenting on the post itself. I was simply saying that a long description can cover content. Making it collapsible will allow creators to write to their desired amount without covering up the video.

This problem of covering up content is unique to these video sharing platforms, anyway to make the UI experience cleaner is greatly appreciated.

9 Likes

Post wasn’t about you, I’ve seen plenty of videos with long descriptions. I used you as a visual aid because you happened to appear on my “your mix” page.

In my experience posts gain more traction when they have visuals, I’ll use my own posts in the future.

Thank you.

4 Likes

I’m late but I gots a few solutions for ya:

1. For alerting mods to an issue…there’s a flagging option, so…there’s that! :upside_down_face:
  2. For the long descriptions: I’ll be sure to write short novels on mine henceforth.
    Oh wait…no that’s making more of an issue…
    Okay hold on…mulligan. Can I mulligan?
    Yea I can.

2 (mulligan!). For the long descriptions: zen mode or…and hear me out, just scroll on past.

still very tempted to write a novel for my descriptions now. So sorry @ryanmccarley for stirring the pot, I’ll go ahead and report myself :joy:

(issa joke btw)

5 Likes

Great Idea, and it’s a Fact. This should be implemented soon.