Shen Chang Fu Circus (Sheum's Circus)

This was my family’s circus, it was one of the two biggest Chinese circuses in Southeast Asia. My great grand father (Mr. Shen Chang Fu) was the ringleader and so was his son (my grandpa). This Circus started in 1936 and folded in the mid 70s, my mother recalls being a contortionist performing 6 days a week with 3 shows a day. I might keep posting stories about my mom side of the family here and will eventually make a separate post for my dad’s side of the family, for now here are some pictures of the circus.

20190126_172213
My mom (left) and my aunt (right) in front of the main tent of the circus

20190126_172400
My great grandpa with a tiger

20190126_172440
My grandpa performing with a lion

20190126_172343
My mother in a middle of her performance

20190126_172326
My grandma and my aunt right before they performed

20190126_172452
Great gandpa (left), grandpa (middle) and great grandma (right)

16 Likes

There is a lot of tragedy in my families stories so yeah…

4 Likes

Dude, please change your name to ken(thecool)kat101 because it would really be more accurate. would be cool to hear some more!

4 Likes

lol thx Arf my family is something else man.

4 Likes

The Greatest Showman Byte Edition.

8 Likes

Thx everyone I’ll def post stories about the circus when I can.

4 Likes

Super cool

5 Likes

Very interesting, would love to hear more !

6 Likes

When the circus was traveling in the Indonesian island of Java, they had Tigers and Lions as performers. One day a Lion escaped its cage, so my grandpa had to hunt down the lion in the hot jungles of Java with a tranquilizer gun. Unfortunately for grandpa he only had one more tranquilizer bullet, not sure why he only had one but that’s how the story goes, suddenly he found the lion past the trees of the jungle in a flat grassy area laying down, sunbathing. Grandpa only had one chance to get it right, he hits his target but the tranquilizer only kicks after a couple of minutes and the lion saw him and started to chase after him. Grandpa knew he had to run to safety so he ran to a big tree in the jungle with the lion behind him, he then climbed it to the very top of it. The lion then tried to climb after him, my grandpa feared for his life but then the lion lost its gripping and fell back down, it was fine and just circled him until the drugs kicked in and it was knocked out. Grandpa then returned back to the circus to grab some helpers and brought the lion back.

4 Likes

Ken. Make a movie or game or something representing your stories. It would be awesome :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

I want to know more

5 Likes

Now this is. Good read broksi

5 Likes

Wow. This was the first time I was legit entranced by a post. THIS NEEDS TO BE A MOVIE!!

5 Likes

20190128_143838
My grandma (right) and aunt (left) taking a picture with one of the circuses elephants.

My grandma was a trapeze artist for the circus, she performed on a regular basis like everyone in the family. One day a couple of monkeys they hod got out, and ran to the top of the big tent where my grandma was practicing. My grandma was about 20 to 30 ft off the group, then one of the monkeys got in the big tent and when she turned around to find the monkey right in front of her, she screamed and lost her balance and fell all the way to the ground. Grandma’s head split wide open and blood was everywhere. Everyone was panicking, the ring leaders wife was badly injured, however she was still alive and luckily survived with 15 stitches in her head. The monkeys were caught and brought back to their cage and the circus went on.

3 Likes

It was my moms birthday like three days ago. So happy late birthday to her she was contortionist for the circus.

6 Likes

If you make a movie out of this:

2 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:
I think you might be a distant relative of mine. My dad says you’re a second cousin? My name is Hui Ning and my grandma, Sheum Yu Xiang/Mei was also part of the circus. Her dad, my great grandfather ran the circus. I grew up hearing stories about the circus. Is your mom Xiao Zhen or Xiao Mei? My grandma can’t see very well and couldn’t tell from the pictures.

P.S. Also do you know who Billy is? Apparently he is a brother? Maybe a brother of your mum? He’s a mechanic in California.

6 Likes

@LemonyPeaches Billy is my Uncle and Xiao Zhen is my aunt! Also do you have any pictures yourself of the circus you would like to show? Do you have an aunt named Gina Lo or Lisa Hsu? Finally is this your grandmother bc i think my sister meet your grandmother when she came to Singapore?

(Gina, Lisa, Pauline, Esther. Do you know them?)

4 Likes

This is freaking wild :flushed:

2 Likes

Who needs Ancestry.com when you got v2.co

6 Likes