SEEKING - Let's try out this critique section!

Hi, I’m maukamauka, 19, and I really like the idea of this critique section. I’m always second guessing what I want to do next, so any and all feedback and criticism is appreciated- I won’t take it to heart!

Here is my account: https://byte.co/maukamauka

General description of account: Comedy, Wierd, Meta, Personable, Homemade, Amateur (in a purposeful fun way).

I’ve been making a lot of bytes, 6 or so a day. I’m trying to figure out how to filter my ideas better so I can increase the overall quality of my feed. Specifically, I’m looking for what I’m best at to focus on more, and how to organize myself better so I can continue improving. Please ask followup questions if more info is needed! I was never on vine or tiktok or any of those, so I’m super excited to be here for byte and learn how it works. Thank you all!

8 Likes

This isn’t so much of a critique of your work then it is an observation about a lot of comedy currently on Byte. It’s a looping app, make use of that. A lot of people tend to just utilize the ‘static’ shot. Which can be effective, but this isn’t YouTube so it’s not necessary.

If you are going to utilize the static shock, I would recommend reading up on composition. There’s a lot out there and it will make whatever it is you are doing more visually appealing to the viewer.

No idea it’s too stupid. Find a smart way to tell a stupid joke and you’re gold.

You are somebody I’m seeing that is working really hard. Your stuff is funny. Other than what I’ve already mentioned I would look to create your own distinct style, something that sets you apart from all the rest. Emulate, don’t copy, other creators you like. ( I can also tag you in some of the better visual loops or make one for you to demonstrate when I’m talking about, just let me know )

8 Likes

I’d love to see the visual loops you have in mind! I really appreciate your response. Definitely agree with you on finding my own distinct style; just need to figure out how to work smarter, not harder.

4 Likes

As soon as I get a spare minute this evening I will post some examples on my side account and tag you in them as well as stuff from other creators.

6 Likes

I like your content, it’s fairly relatable. I like that some of your bytes have simple edits and it’s not over kill on sounds effects and green screen over load. I don’t have many critiques but I agree with @onkelchrispy people do love some loops (but I’m yet to figure those out myself lol)

4 Likes

I did a quick google search and here are some links that may be helpful with composition. I know it’s just short form video, but hopefully you’ll gain something from it? It is a visual medium after all.

6 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, I want to go simple on effects because otherwise I’d spend too long on it. Will keep in mind the looping part :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the links! I tried to incorporate it into my next byte and will consider what you said going forward. Film is so crazy.

2 Likes

Composition helps for sure but in 6 seconds the content is massively more important. A beautifully composed poor joke is still a poor joke.

Look at some of the popular old vines and you’ll see hardly any of them are heavily edited, perfectly looping, visually attractive masterpieces.

The most important thing is getting quality comedy across clearly and effectively. You don’t need people to review it like a movie, just enjoy it enough for them to like/comment/rebyte. So yeah, make it look nice, but remember that probably determines only a small % of its success, the content determines the rest!

3 Likes

That’s true, and every little bit of advice helps. If you have any feedback or suggestions on content I’d love to hear it! Thank you.

1 Like

Just keep going! You’ll start to see what kind of byte does well and what doesn’t. Then just concentrating on making bytes of the kind that works!

3 Likes