SEEKING - Hit me with your critique please!

Hey guys, I’m looking for some honest opinions, as well as maybe some insight into what I should be doing. Right now, I’m getting a decent amount of likes and loops, but despite replying to almost every comment, my conversion rate for followers is extremely low. One of my Bytes even featured on Spotlight (thanks based Byte team), and I got a really great amount of likes and loops, but not too many conversions! Could this mean that there is an issue with my content? Maybe someone with a little more marketing experience could chime in.

I know best that each individual follower is a person, and I engage with as many as I can. Every single comment I give someone is thought out and not a " :joy: :joy: ".

TL:DR Feedback on if I should be doing something differently, and feedback on my content.

5 Likes

@onkelchrispy Your advice was @maukamauka was really good, hoping you could chime in here.

3 Likes

onkleychrispy bout to be the community content reviewer

6 Likes

For real lol

2 Likes

Anyone? :sob: This is not a humble brag, I’m having some serious struggle street here.

2 Likes

Here’s what I think:

You have solid comedy, editing, and material with each of your videos, at least from what I’m seeing. I don’t really see anything that you should improve, but if you’re concerned about why you’re not getting more followers, I would recommend to try different things within the realm of what you can do. Another thing I would recommend is possibly collaborating with other popular byte users, as from what I’ve heard it helps get your name out there.
Speaking of collaborating, @Tylerwinrow has another green screen challenge that you could be a part of if you want to.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. I think despite you saying there’s nothing to improve, there’s still a gap between me and the “top creators” on the app, so I think I’ll just chalk it up to “it’s good but not there yet”. So I’ll just keep going.

But holy shit that Tyler collab thing, that looks so fun. I’ve never worked with green screens before so that’ll be something new. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

3 Likes

I’ve been following you for a while now and I’ve always enjoyed your content. There isn’t much “weaknesses” in your bytes per se, but if you’re looking for ways to raise your ceiling, it’s really all in the “performance” side of things. All the biggest Viners were theatrical and way over the top in their acting. They grabbed people’s attention with exaggerated expressions and comical reactions and actions. The only exception off the top of my head was Zach King and other SFX maestros like Matthew Paquette (think that was his name).

While not mutually exclusive, the biggest creators either have strong material/concepts or strong performances. I’m personally a material type of person, and I think you fall in line with this category too, so personally I think you’re fine doing what you’re doing :smiley: Though creators that have a certain “brand” technically do have it easier, just because they can take good or decent idea, and hard carry it just by being themselves. And these creators who have formed an identity have an easier time building a fanbase, since their fans enjoy them for their acting.

2 Likes

Hey Zia, really appreciate not only the feedback but also your support along the way. I really do.

Your comment makes complete sense. I definitely do know that my acting is rather lacking. This definitely does give me something to work on, thank you so much!

2 Likes

I should be clear that I don’t think your acting is lacking in any way. You do a good job of executing your ideas and bytes. I see it more as an area where you can “upgrade” and add some Marx Brothers slapstick comedy into your bytes.

2 Likes

While I agree with most of what’s been said already, I also think it has slightly to do with the users of the app, a lot of the people giving likes simply just scroll down the endless page of bytes and drop likes without really engaging with the creators or checking out the creators’ profiles

2 Likes

@Lacieyl I’m sorry for the delayed reply!!
I think you’re content is pretty funny, and you definitely have your own unique style of delivery. Maybe experiment with times of day perhaps? Also like I said to @maukamauka it can’t hurt to experiment with composition/angles/etc. even music choice plays a big part.

I’m a big proponent for setting up a side acct. for experimentation. Time lapse, stop motion, etc. are all valuable tools. I shoot largely on my phone and with apps, but people seem to respond to stuff that has an organic diy vibe to it.

I’m a big film buff, and I watch a lot of video essays on YT and I get a lot of inspiration from that kinda stuff.

4 Likes