Reuploading old vines? No thank you

Hey guys,

This might have been discussed before, if so… sorry.

So basically, as much as Byte is not Vine we will probably see a lot of old vines reuploaded (by people who didn’t even make the vine). So I ask of all of us that we don’t upvote that type of stuff because it’s gonna be annoying. If I wanna see vines I can go to Youtube, not Byte.

On that topic, predictions on how many people will just copy old vines. :wink:

Cheers

12 Likes

Definitely want fresh new content and we can expect that to happen. Though I wouldn’t object to byte hosting and resurrecting certain vines that are timeless and are best expressed through a looping platform. The comedy stuff, which really was a majority of vine content, not dependent on looping, certainly please go to YouTube to revisit those, but some of the more artistic expressions that really took advantage of looping seamlessly, I wouldn’t object to people relocating them to this new home.

5 Likes

yeah, if these videos were to be reuploaded though I’d prefer if the original creator would be the one uploading.

6 Likes

absolutely

2 Likes

Yea there will be a ton of those vids on byte. But yea cant do anything about it and honestly seeing one of these from time to time might be funny too lol.

There are actually some ex viners that react to some of their old vines and then they make it again, so I don’t think it would be a good idea if someone try to re upload a old vine

1 Like

I got into making vines really close to when it closed, so I actually have a bunch of videos made that I never posted!

Hopeful to share them soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I agree. If the uploader did actually make the vine, they should be allowed to upload it. If they didn’t though, it should be taken down.

1 Like

there’s definitely gonna be accounts made that only post old popular vines, and there may be ex viners that would post content they already made again:/

1 Like

The only way to avoid having old vines re-uploaded would be to have some sort of data base containing all the old vines and any newly uploaded bytes. This way, when someone wants to post something, it checks it across the entire database to see if it exists or not. If it is something new, it gets uploaded to byte and also added to the database so that no one else can re-upload that exact same video. This would not only prevent people from re-uploading old vines, but would also prevent them from stealing a byte that was already uploaded by someone else and then re-uploading it as if it were theirs. However, building a system like this would take a lot of time and effort, and I am not even entirely sure if it would be possible.

1 Like

Honestly I think it’s next to impossible to stop posting old Vines, even if a program was initiated

People would change up the metadata of the video making it look like a new video.

There will always be fan pages as well of old viners who’d be reposting content

1 Like

True. Then I believe that they should be marked in a separate category, so that those who do not want to see old vines don’t have to see them. Because it would really suck if the trending pages are covered with nothing but old vines making it difficult to view new content.

1 Like

It will probably happen. But yea you’re right. We’re seeking for new experiences and new content not for old stuff

1 Like

I am sure there are many vines people haven’t seen that they would still find valuable or entertaining expressions. It is only “old” if you have seen it before but if you haven’t seen it, for you, it is new. So what if there were an option you could select on a byte that tags it with “don’t show me this again.” That way you have control over qualifying what is old and new. Because what might be old content to you might be new content to others. This would give people another level of curation over what they see. Or, if there were an option to mark an upload as an old vine, this would create a tag on the post marking it as previously being on vine. Then on your profile you could have an option to exclude or include these kinds of posts in your feed.

2 Likes

i think a good rule of thumb is if you didn’t make it, don’t upload it

4 Likes

Absolutely

3 Likes

Yes…
I love that rule.

Damn Satan coming up with good ideas n shii

3 Likes

Even though you’re powerful, Satan, I doubt people will listen to that rule. You have to understand that the Internet is a large place and no one cares about anyone else’s content as long as it gives them attention. Sad truth.

3 Likes

oh yeah of course

i’d love a world where everyone online is respectful of one another’s intellectual property but i do know that’d be impossible. but if our community here follows this small but important cardinal rule then maybe we can make the community on byte an even better place to be a part of

3 Likes

Great idea! Luckily we’re so positive :heart:

4 Likes