Reddit CEO says TikTok is 'fundamentally parasitic"

I use it to understand if I could to start to post my stuff even there, but I’m seeing that there is no space for art / animation

2 Likes

I would honestly like to have it. As much as I hate the idea of people posting tiktoks on byte, it’s because I think the two platforms have a different content style. I’d love to experience the For You Page that everyone raves about, and I know there’s some funny stuff in there that just needs more than 6.5 seconds.

But I’m not installing freaking spyware on my phone voluntarily. Every time I get tempted to get Tiktok, I remind myself that they use your freaking mic to tailor the algorithm and that your data is collected by the Chinese government. Like… no. I’m not handing out my data to any governments if I am informed about it, thank you very much.

4 Likes

How do they use your mic while you’re browsing? That’s insane.

2 Likes

Oh no - now the Chinese government knows all my dad jokes and the I like listening to Renegade :thinking:

1 Like

You know the whole joke about “I was talking to someone in real life about X and then I got an ad” thing… well that. This is a quote from the article.

“because I look at that app as so fundamentally parasitic, that it’s always listening, the fingerprinting technology they use is truly terrifying, and I could not bring myself to install an app like that on my phone.”

The fingerprinting Huffman is referring to is a combination of audio and browser tracking…

2 Likes

Yikes!