Rebuilding a Friendly Forums Environment

Hey guys. This long ass post may not be necessary but oops. (If you don’t wanna read just maybe check the bolded parts)

Before I start I just wanna go on the record and say I had a weird vegetarian meat for dinner (I’m not even vegetarian) and my stomach and mouth are very disappointed in me.

With that out of the way, in the past few days I have noticed an increasingly negative turnaround in the atmosphere that used to be so characteristically friendly and positive on the V2 community forums (maybe it’s just me but oh well). To an extent, the newfound hostility is understandable, as many people were upset or caught off-guard with the announcement of V2’s indefinite postponement, and this may have caused a rift in people feeling like they need to take sides defending certain opinions. I’m not trying to pretend that I haven’t been caught up in some of the arguments as well.

There is a valid point that many have made that all the discussion on the forums are useful, I would just add that they are useful as long as they are productive and respectful, and ultimately that’s always been up to you to decide. I think we all need to make sure that we are still respecting what Dom worked so hard to create for us, which was fostering an environment of respect and kindness.

The community guidelines (linked below) tell us to criticize ideas, and not people. However, at this point, people are explicitly criticizing people, not ideas. This manifests itself in many ways, so I’m just asking everyone to think twice about what you’re posting and if it’s contributing to discussion in a meaningful and productive way. I’m not saying you’re not allowed to post exactly what you want, and of course everyone is entitled to their informed opinion, but I just remember less than a week ago when for months and months in a row we all managed to maintain an awesome, encouraging atmosphere by just avoiding knee-jerk reactions in posting comments and making a concerted effort in spreading positivity.

Most notably, the biggest misunderstanding taking place right now is that some people want to try OEVO, and some people don’t. At this point, nobody is going to convince anybody else to either join OEVO or stay off of it, so please stop trying to. Some people were being harsh towards OEVO (myself included) which was also initially understandable, but they have a rightful place on these forums just as everyone else does, and they did apologize for any upsetting motives.

Anyways this is my long way of saying I really miss the positive, inclusive, friendly, and encouraging community that we had just a few days ago and for the entirety of four months before that. In short, I’m just requesting that everybody take a step back and remember that one of the most awesome things about this community is our ability to have a fun and respectful time, so if you’re not 100% sure about posting a comment directed towards someone else, it may not be worth it. If you disagree with someone, evaluate whether it’s worth stating publicly, check to see if someone has already voiced a similar opinion to yours, and if you’ve decided to comment then please just do so respectfully like we have for months in the past.

I’ll link the forums guidelines just to realign our focus to the vision that Dom initially intended for this welcoming and celebratory community of people.

If you’ve made it this far congratulations, I have some vegetarian meat to share with you. Ok now I have to go study for chemistry. Thanks bye. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

And pLeASe let me know what you guys think just about everything down below

https://community.byte.co/faq

13 Likes

Yeah, I feel like things have been rough around here ever since the update. gouda cheese thread tho

3 Likes

agreed :slight_smile:

5 Likes

100% accurate! Good luck with chemistry! :hugs:

4 Likes

yeah I really feel that. I just long for the times when it was all hype, games, and dreaming about the future. all of that went downhill real quick. It’s a bit of a shame.

5 Likes

Love it ash

4 Likes