Preventing bots and fake accounts

I’ve been on multiple other apps since Vine was shuttered and I have found 2 very common annoyances: bots and fake accounts. There are more accounts that I can count of people stealing videos and posting them as their own. Then there’s the bots that post a couple videos and then harass the hell out of you trying to convince you to pay to get followers.

My suggestion is that, after your email has been verified, you must press the record button in the app for 3 to 6 seconds in order for your account to become activated. Thoughts? Other suggestions?

1 Like

Here is something that talks about preventing fake accounts from being bought

2 Likes

The video idea might get complicated and would have to be reviewed by real people which would take forever. Instead maybe have a code that is displayed in an image (to stop copy pasting) that users have to input when they sign up?

The video wouldn’t have to be reviewed. It would just be an activation event. You hold down the record button for 3 to 6 seconds and then the account is activated. No actual video would have to be recorded. Just a physical check to prevent computer programs from creating multiple accounts

2 Likes

Ooh yeah I get that. That sounds like it would be way easier

Maybe a limit can be implemented on new accounts that they can only like, comment and follow a certain number of times in the first hour or something. Then maybe to be able to upgrade to get unlimited everything, u have to somehow activate ur account by confirming ur email and physically holding down the record button for a few seconds.

1 Like