Popular Now block moved back to top of search page

Just noticed this today. Hmmm, interesting. Not what I expected after Dom’s bulletin yesterday.

12 Likes

I like that a lot actually. It’s small but its aesthetically pleasing and those are the 3 I generally use.

4 Likes

I looked at the Popular page once in the last week. I mostly use New & Trending.

5 Likes

I don’t even look at those because it’s always the same people. Who also show up on my feed every 3 bytes. I finally just blocked them.

6 Likes

whoops, forgot to put this in the changelog. will do that in a moment

the nike campaign is over and popular now is the current best choice for a 2nd tab. new & trending is good for discovery (which is why it remains at 3), but because of the early size of the network it’s still fairly hit & miss. we noticed a drop in feed satisfaction when we buried popular now, and that has been corrected.

not everyone uses the app several times a day, or even every day. this is actually the case for the vast majority of people using the app, who use it more casually. while we wait on a new algorithm, popular now is an additional good option for folks to get an occasional taste of generally high quality stuff to look at. while it’s not as mixed as new & trending, and has some known issues, it’s also less likely to serve random stuff that some might not want to deal with. the goal is to keep both “power users” and the larger casual audience engaged, which can be tricky

tl,dr: none of these tabs work for everyone, which is why we’re adding personalized recommendations :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

brilliant

1 Like

Thanks Dom! Can you explain what you mean by “feed satisfaction” and how that’s determined? Sounds very interesting.

As I mentioned above, I’ve been primarily using Spotlight and New & Trending for the past week to find new content and people to follow. Looking forward to the new recommendation and discovery tools!

4 Likes

I agree :point_up:t3:

3 Likes

it’s the only metric we care about and is basically “how many bytes will you look at before you end your session” :slight_smile:

(there is more to it but that’s the main idea)

12 Likes

will nike campaign return or how is it like @dom

2 Likes

Interesting! So when the Popular page was moved down on the search page, people spent less time viewing videos? Oh, that makes me sad :smile: I’ve actually spent more time on the app since New & Trending arrived. I imagine you can track who’s clicking on what on the search page, can you share what’s the most clicked on page or channel? Is Popular Now the most popular?

4 Likes

I beg to differ to be quite honest, I have seen a lot of content on this page that may not be “high quality stuff” (at least in my opinion) nor do I believe it got there from being high quality in the first place.

Right now I think the Popular page discourages people to be creative and in fact maybe makes people try to mimic others content in hopes they will be on this page as well. There is nothing really helping people be themselves and get rewarded for it or put creativity first.

I know there is updates coming to help with this, but that’s just my opinion on the whole Popular page in itself.

6 Likes

the most popular feeds are the ones that are closer to the top at any given time, as you can imagine

what’s more interesting is the division of content. you’d think that comedy would be something really high (like 80-90%), but it’s only 45%. obviously there is some comedy stuff that creeps into other categories (which we will still start moderating), and there are uncategorized posts, but it’s actually not enough to skew the number significantly

11 Likes

understood. again, it’s not for everyone but what we see right now is it’s more likely to work for more people, which makes it a good interim option for now

5 Likes

hey Dom im slightly disappointed about this and was hoping it was an error but I understand your decision to change it. I was wondering if the popular page will ever have a limit on how much one person can be on the popular page in a specific time frame example being maybe only once every couple of days or once a week or completely by random, it seems like the spotlight is like that (I could be wrong) but that would be extremely helpful for smaller creators. I find that I also dont use the popular page as much as I would like to just because of the fact that it is usually the same people on there and most of the time I have already seen their videos. I know you plan on adding some new cool features in the upcoming weeks but I have been curious about this for a little while :blush:

5 Likes

Totally understand, was just giving some feedback from my end :+1:

3 Likes

we’re going to test swapping new & trending and popular now’s slots, so the new order will be:

1. spotlight
  2. new & trending
  3. popular now
3 Likes

I’ve noticed this as well, would a feature to be able to “report” in a sense and “suggest” what channel it should go to? This way if only a few people think it’s miscategorised it’s no biggie. However if many people do it, it could alert the staff so they can do the final decision on if it should move or stay. Also could send a notification to the original poster to basically saying “hey let’s keep the categories organized”. Maybe a 1 week shadow ban where their content could get less seen if they are constantly abusing the channel feature :man_shrugging:t2:. I don’t know just thinking out loud I guess.

1 Like

Especially thinking from a casual user perspective, this is very believable. Most people on the forums would not be casual users. I’m glad you’re going by the data.

4 Likes

Where are the byters ?
Have a good day

1 Like