Overthinking the algorithm is stupid, but here's two quick things I take into consideration

So, I think number of loops in general are important, and that the last post by Byte about the algorithm indicated “interest” is a metric that they want to encourage. Because of that, here is two quick approaches I consider making my Bytes.

1. For videos that I include text or edited-in graphic elements, I often have them go by very fast. Additionally, sometimes I’ll purposefully put it in the lower thirds where the text would be obscured by the caption/all the other data provided by Byte. In my head, it gives people little easter eggs and a reason to watch it multiple times. Like, the joke should be readable immediately after you first watch it, and that’s most important, but I think it’s funny, and fun, if you give people reasons to loop through it multiple times to catch the most amount of details.
  2. This isn’t really taking into consideration of the algorithm, but just a general rule for myself; when I make a Byte, I always try to ask myself if it would be funny if you don’t read the caption. This especially gets taken into consideration with the introduction of Zen mode. I think I developed this approach when I noticed that a lot of the Vines that would be uploaded to youtube would not have captions, but the most popular ones were immediately readable as funny, or telling a story without the caption. That doesn’t mean that the caption can’t add to the joke, amplify it, or even change why it’s funny - it’s just a thing I take into consideration.

Of course, overthinking the algorithm is mostly a fool’s errand, and these things should be considered a distant second to making quality content and engaging with the community…it’s just something that popped in my head.

I guess, if anything I wanted to throw these ideas out to add to the grammar of what Byte is. Byte is not Vine or TikTok, and as the platform grows it’ll have little tics and personality to the videos, and I thought I’d throw these two out as a thing to consider.

8 Likes

Highlight :star2:

10 Likes

Only problem I have with bytes algorithm is that it essentially ensures people at the top stay wt the top.

popular page is the same 10 ppl everyday and some of them just aren’t that funny to be honest.

9 Likes

Pretty sure the algorithm hates me. :joy::flushed: It seems to only pick comedy content. And it seems staff never wonders into Art to add anything to spotlight. It’s all sketches. Which is fine, I just thought they were looking for a wider variety of creators and the algorithm doesn’t make it feel that way. At all.

6 Likes

yeah, on one hand it annoys me. I think they just had the privilege of being in the platform early and so they have a naturally baked-in larger audience.

But, I think Spotlight (where I think almost everything is interesting) is where the Byte team tries to counter-act that by giving exposure to people who have unique voices…and from what the Byte team publishes, I get the impression that early on they’re biasing “bigger” people on the platform just because they’re proven to have very general appeal.

That said, I just wish it was a little easier to avoid their content, because they end up on the Mix and For Your Consideration way too much.

Also, the way I think of things…all of us are on the platform relatively early and building between ourselves a network of both fellow creators and people who like our junk, and RN on social media it feels as if it has a really high RIO. Like, we’re not the top of the platform but getting anything more than 10k+ loops is pretty impressive for the relatively little amount of work involved, especially compared to other platforms.

3 Likes

I’m almost at 15k loops :laughing: :champagne: I’m so excited.

But it’s hard not to get discouraged when someone has a loop with over 1k views and it’s literally them just walking past the screen with a context caption. No effort. I put soooo much effort into my bytes (it can take HOURS to paint the original images) but I still have to post as often as someone who puts in no effort. While I appreciate and find much of their work funny, it’s difficult not to become a tad bitter.

I shouldn’t complain. I am grateful for our community. :v:t3:

9 Likes

I love getting 19 likes after hours of editing and hard work hahahahahha

8 Likes

Same.

4 Likes

SOON BYTE

stonks_meme_1254

8 Likes

Tell me about it. One random byte that I put nearly half the effort into it as I did my other bytes is somehow my most popular one. :man_shrugging::laughing:

7 Likes

That is a shame cause your content is different amd very soothing

2 Likes

Don’t give up guys, keep creating. Sometimes consistency pays off. I say that as someone that’s been there.

6 Likes

You are so kind. Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::yellow_heart:

1 Like

It’ll be fine! The app is finding its direction. Just keep creating and if you don’t post everyday…it’s ok. They’re figuring it out…we’re figuring it out…no one really knows wtf is going on, lol! Just keep having fun, interact with others and keep it moving! :smile:

7 Likes

I think this app needs to have a balance between creating the content and the usage of the app. On the one hand, creators want to create contents that people can discover. On the other hand, some creators take the advantage to cheat the system and make themselves at the top. I have to agree that lots of the top creators’s contents are not good at all. It is not fair for us who working hard on the contents and never get picked up.

There are lots of consideration on changing the algorithm. It is not just one or two people suffering the change, but everyone also suffer. I don’t overlook that too seriously. I just use it like… AH i made some friends there!

I saw couple good creators saying that “Ok time for me to quit this app now.” I hope @dom can see our voice. The algorithm is indeed difficult to make everyone happy, but we do need to have some balance.

2 Likes

we ask that you don’t call out specific creators or bytes

11 Likes

I think what is 100x more interesting than who leaves or quits is seeing some really quality content creators commenting in this forum. There are genuinely creative people in this forum right now commenting and that is super interesting to see.

7 Likes

oh sorry.

1 Like

I have seen some really cool byte creators and now they are slowly stepping out the app.
I asked them why and they replied me that it is so difficult to use the app and their content got very small chance to get exposed. I feel bad but … a good app or platform can’t be built by one day.

I just use byte to make things I like and make some cool friends. Other creators definitely have other intention to use this app. I think it is good to have the balance.

3 Likes

I have not seen any consistent Byte creators leave at all. I think you would be hard-pressed to find 10 nominal contributors (I put myself in that group). By nominal, I would say anything less than 250 bytes.

1 Like