One person's smut is another person's magnum opus!

Hello,
Could someone please explain to me the reason for Censorship on byte ? (Language cencorship that is)
Also I would like clarity on the demographic of byte ?
Is this a 16+ platform ?
Have we always been censored or is this a new thing ?
Where in the T&C’s does it say we can not swear?
Imo byte’s suppression & prohibition of not allowing us to swear in the comments is highly questionable.
I understand obscenity is difficult to define. It’s almost impossible to avoid offending one person without restricting the freedom of expression of another.
However as ADULTS we swear maybe for accuracy or realism, Sometimes imaginative substitutes or prissy asterisks just won’t do!
Who exactly is being protected ?
Has byte really decided we are such a highly evolved society, we don’t need to use swear words to make our thoughts clear!?
Is this purely a matter of economics ?
Is it not a little hypocritical that you can film yourself saying certain words yet not be allowed to write them ?

Morally should byte have this level of control.

Thank you for your time
Penelope
Aka Pulcher currently disgruntled

2 Likes

Byte is 13+ according to the T&C’s. What’s going on here? :eyes:

1 Like

Oh ty Colin I thought it was 16.
I just want some things clarified so I can make an informed decision on if this is the right app for me.
Last night it was bought to my attention that you cannot use certain words in the comments, I would just like to know the reasoning behind this.

1 Like

And the App Store lists it as 17+ so like idk why T&C are saying otherwise lol

3 Likes

Interesting, it would be good to know the actual age!

1 Like

Yup I was just about say it is actually +17. I’m not quite sure why they did this I’ve seen a few of upset videos about this censorship

2 Likes

@dom could you or a member of your team please give some clarification please

And while on the topic, why would it say 17+ If there’s children using this app for who knows what reason?

In fact, I remember that ever since the beta period long before Jan 24th 2020, the byte team had strictly said that NO CHILDREN SHOULD BE ALLOWED on this app?!

There should be some form of age moderation or some of restrictions in place for users that are underaged. @dom

I thought I might say that just in case

3 Likes

What words are we not allowed to use? As far as I know the only type of language that is banned is hate speech or slurs :confused: what got censored?

we don’t act on language unless it’s something hate speech, in which case you’d obviously be banned or comments throttled. can you provide an example?

the service is 13+, but the app is 17+ based on the app store guidelines. we don’t set the age rating on the store, we just answer questions about what kind of content is on the app. in this case:

Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor

which causes the app store to automatically suggest and apply a 17+ age rating

11 Likes

Ty for gettiback to me Dom,
I can understand hate speech.
So last night a post was made asking us to type certain words into the comments mainly profanity four letter words.
All these comments disappeared within seconds after typing & posting.
The said post has dissapeared too I’m not sure if this was removed or taken down by the creator.
Others have also commented that comments using certain words have dissapeared from their page.

2 Likes

Swearing, four letter words mainly only in the comments. Ironically if you want to say F*** or C*** in your caption that you can do but if you use words like this in your comments it disappears.

3 Likes

This will be fun testing out lol brb

2 Likes

lea’s test on my byte worked- that is, I was able to see and confirm the cussing.

I did have an issue the other day where I had to comment three times for the comment to show up, and there was no cursing in it. At first I thought @mauro was deleting my comment.

5 Likes

My own curses are still on my post as well (you can delete those comments now if you want lolol)

3 Likes

For clarity’s sake, I now personally deleted those comments, the system did not

4 Likes

I’ve been having an issue where I know I typed a comment or liked a post and later I see the post and my like/comment isn’t there. I hadn’t reported a bug, because it seemed random(I couldn’t replicate it or figure out what was making it happen) and I thought I might have just been having internet issues.

So, maybe something was going on and comments were just not getting through for some reason. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I tried this with @madamewombat, most recent post, she got a notification for the post but the comment was auto deleted (I said “sorry for not follpwing you ( testing fuck fuck cunt ass”)

4 Likes

perhaps not censoring but a random comment deletion issue?

3 Likes

Yeah I got a notification the other day three times seeeing the same thing posted and I looked and it wasn’t there I think that might just be a glitch tho or something or maybe they reposted and gave up :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like