📢 One minute loops are not conducive to scrolling📢

Biggest reason I couldn’t get into tiktok. Do I really want to invest that much time watching a video that I may not even like? I spend more time scrolling and watching stuff when the loops are shorter. Thoughts on optimal time limits?

2 Likes

A toggle option might be nice.

Byte video length slider

16 Likes

think that’s the idea. if they can’t keep you engaged, then you scroll away. then because of lack of watch time, their video gets punished.

unless, of course, you get baited by the “watch until the end” signs.

2 Likes

I’m all for videos having a slow set up to a good pay off at the end, but a minute is a long time for the potential of the pay off not being worth it. And then I close the app after a few times of wasted pay off.

3 Likes

Ya as far as time goes, I have seen amazing 1 minute sketches on tiktok.

But in general, most people there are wasting your time with thirst traps and build ups for 30+ seconds only for the payoff at the end to be terrible or not exist at all.

When byte went to 16 seconds, a lot of people used all 16 seconds and sucked because they were making jokes that could’ve been used in the old 8 second format but they dddddrrrreeeeewwwwww iiiiiitttttt ooooouuuutttttt for no reason.

But, for some people they are very talented and could use a minute. I know a few tiktokkers who ONLY can make 1 minute videos. And when they do it it’s worth your time

3 Likes

If videos get longer than 14 seconds, than what would be the point of staying on Byte? Wouldn’t people just use TikTok instead?

I think the short looping videos are part of Byte’s identity.

2 Likes

Yeah but the thing is, it’s not what the “OGs” want, it’s about what the MAJORITY wants

2 Likes

I agree there are people that can make fantastic stuff in a minute. But it also takes incredible skill to make content in LESS time. They are different skills to be sure.

3 Likes

One reason I bring it up is less to make the point of “I want what I want” and more for the point if I think it will help people stay on the app for longer periods of time if they are shorter. I spent hours scrolling vine at 6.5 seconds. Because even if one vine was bad, there is always the thought that the next one could be good. Same reason twitter is easy to scroll since they are shorter chunks.

5 Likes

id iz wad id iz uwu

Nobody’s ever settled with the time for videos… someone’s gonna complain how they wanted to film a 1hour long short film and it wasn’t enough time

4 Likes

“Watch until the end” videos are not stonks

5 Likes

I originally was not a fan of the 16s videos because people kept on using way more time than they needed, but eventually people adjusted and learned to use less than the full amount of time they needed. I agree that the vast majority of content on byte would not benefit from being longer than 16 seconds, but if people are excited to make new content and feel they need more time, it would benefit byte to have a way for those people to share their creations. I think a possible way for it to work without damaging the short-form scrolling aspect of the app would be to do something kind of like instagram tv, where a 15 second clip of the video plays on your feed and to view the full video, you have to click on it intentionally. That way people can share longer videos while keeping feeds streamlined.

3 Likes

I keep saying, Vine’s VineLonger option was excellent. 6 second loops on the surface, but you could select the video and see the complete longer video underneath. It’s what made Camp Unplug possible

“Forgot the 64…”

2 Likes

i’d rather watch 1 whole video then have to go to continuous parts because what if the post on ur mix page is quite old and u have to scroll down a lot of posts to find different parts? its a hassle honestly

3 Likes

Big brain idea right here: The series feature (Streamlining multipart bytes)

2 Likes

I hope @dom thinks the same :heart:

1 Like