Once v2 does come out, preventing massive username saving

Tho the time period has to be substantial, like a year minimum

3 Likes

I love that this was said, because I see crazy amounts of original twitter names that are taken and cant be used because they have been inactive since 2012 or something, Disabling active accounts after a while would be a very good thing in my opinion

4 Likes

Are user names really an issue? I’m mean, how many people are vying for ‘Fleekboi69’ and ‘YaGurlJenny911’ ?

1 Like

people want clean usernames like @ doug

2 Likes

Its not about getting a username specific to you, but im talking about someone going on and going

Dog
Cat
Dogs
Luxury
Travel
Dance
Laugh
Lol
Funny
Vine101
V2loops
Bestloops
Kimkardashian

Ect.

Usernames they arent going to use, and are just getting for the clean user, to later sell or abandon

2 Likes

I know, I wanna get @Elizabeth, that would be idea. But itd annoy me to try and get it just to see someone has on there DM FOR BIDS. If you want doug, get doug. Font get doug, steve, rachel, amanda, bill, and Richard. You feel me?

2 Likes

All those names are terrible. I mean, I get people want to just use their normal name but as long as I’ve been on the internet that’s rarely been the case. Maybe I’m missing something…I mean, just use your imagination(s) and create a unique user name?

From what I’ve seen on the original Vine, users highly favored their actual names

1 Like

Thats what people will have to do eventually. It was just a thought for the initial software. Theres a huge amount of people trying to get unique usernames, urls, (even domain names but you pay for those) with the 100% intent to sell them. Of course, after vine has been out a month, you cant complain that your name, jane doe, is taken. But it was just an idea for a protection against people getting on once it goes live (or on beta, depending on how it works), to soak up all of the ‘good’ usernames so they wont be available to someone who could use it. Its not a huge issue, just something I thought could warrant discussion.

Especially since not a lot of other social platforms have had THIS MUCH hype behind them before going live.

Because say one guy got on and made 100 accounts with a baby book of first names, and sold each for 10 bucks a pop (usually theyre closer to 100 or 1000 mind you)…

It was just me thinking on ways to prevent that from happening and let real community members have a shot once it opens.

Its a buffett, mind you, and nobody wants the first dude in line to take all the pizza.

1 Like

Well I’m lucky I’m not that famous for someone to steal my username :’)

1 Like

WOULDN’T THAT BE AN IDEAL PROBLEM THO? lololol

2 Likes

I agree. Twitter, Instagram eg have a lot of name bots that grab names as soon as they become available. Maybe name reservations could only be accessible to those with a certain amount of badges on the forum. Just to filter out the bots.

1 Like

Yeah it all depends on what dom decides to do, but I like the idea of badge requirements.

1 Like

Because say one guy got on and made 100 accounts with a baby book of first names, and sold each for 10 bucks a pop (usually theyre closer to 100 or 1000 mind you)…

OOh great idea :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face: ez 1k (or 10k or 100k)

Accounts that are inactive (not posting, commenting, or DMing, because likes and follows can be botted) for a certain amount of time (at the very least 1 year) could have their usernames changed to something like “User324142” and free up the name for others to use. That way, if you want your account, you won’t lose any posts, followers or likes. Just sign in with your email.

3 Likes

Yo thats actually really lit. And if your account username isnt taken, logging in, you can just reclaim it. Of course, theyd send emails reminding you of your username being removed soon. I like it!

3 Likes

Blockquote
@LeaElizabeth
Yeah, that could be a problem. Usually when new social media comes out its slow to pick up. Theres gunna be a lot of people on here once it opens