Once v2 does come out, preventing massive username saving

I know there is going to be a huge rush for usernames, but is there going to be any kind of limit for people trying to take up as many as possible for future selling purposes? (Even tho thats real messed up) I was trying to think of a way to curb people ‘reserving’ a bunch of usernames with fake email addresses. We all know this is going to be big once it does finally come out, so its going to be a rush of everyone getting usernames. Im just worried about one person getting as many names as possible to try and own the market so to speak. (Maybe a limit on how many accounts can be created on one phone to 2 or 3?)

9 Likes

I know IG limits accounts created off the phones unique address, maybe a set up similar to that

7 Likes

What if there’s a lot of people trying to save famous people usernames? how do V2 controls it?

Yeah thats another problem. Especially just to reserve it to try and get the celebrities to pay for it. Idk it seems messed up. (Even looking at the old v-ers who would wanna potentially come back. I see a lot of people trying too hard to get their usernames

2 Likes

In another thread, Dom mentioned this:

I don’t know if that would eliminate the ability to “steal” people’s names or not but it’s definitely something to brainstorm a solution for.

7 Likes

check out this topic about usernames aswell

4 Likes

Just limit 1 username creation per phone number. ez. People who have no lives and stockpile usernames for profit don’t have friends so they can’t ask to use their phones.

1 Like

I’m sorry… but what if there’s people that want a music V2 and a Comedy one? You should be able to have many.

1 Like

Thatd be good for companies and celebrities. But more abstract ideas like dogs, travel, ect. People could still rack up those usernames in attempt to sell.

Sounds like something someone who stockpiles usernames would say :thinking:

5 Likes

Whaaatt? stooopppp hahahah

2 Likes

Phone number is a good idea! But I agree with @ItsMeJoseGChacin . I personally want to have 2 accounts, I know I have 3 on instagram. A business, personal, and professional page, just for artsy photos and things. Id want v2 to have the same thing, or at least a way to categorize it. (But thats more multiple accounts thread).

1 Like

Totally. Especially because the comment I shared was talking more about Dom’s approach to Verified badges.

This definitely hasn’t been “solved” in the forums and maybe @dom has some idea they’re working on. And if not, it’s good the topic was brought up to put it on the development team’s radar.

1 Like

I think a max of 3 accounts per phone number would be a good compromise, then. What do you think

1 Like

Yeah that’d be good in my opinion. 5 would be a maximum, but it is up to @dom and the development team if theyre even going to limit it

They should limit it per device or ip because you can change your number, you can change your email but device is limited. I know alot of people who would store usernames to sell them unfortunately.

1 Like

Yeah. Of course nothing is perfect, some people will have multiple phones or run their system through a proxy, but an IP/device limit would at least prevent people from doing it willy nilly. (Also so you dont have a bunch of amazing usernames that sit vacant eternally.) People are going to be people, but setting up a guard early on would he better than dealing with the aftermath

2 Likes

True, 8char

2 Likes

Maybe if an account has been idle for a certain amount of time, the username could be made available if someone wants it

2 Likes

I know you can get into dodgy area with that, but tumblr has a similar system. I agree with that though, if you do nothing with it, release it into the wild, I say!

2 Likes