New (non-creator) fan of Byte!

Hi, I’m new here on byte. Looked at it a few months ago at launch, left and now I’m back. One quick question, why is the content really bad on here? Somethings gotta change quick. I’m honestly not tryna be a hater but the vast majority of jokes on here is stuff that would pass in 2014. Comedic Interests change and it’s clear based on the small engagement that the jokes are behind the times. Takes 50 likes to get on the popular page, clear indicator there’s a huge problem. Lmk what you think

15 Likes

Welcome back :ok_hand: I’m pretty sure the low engagement has to do with the fact that this app is literally just a baby and is very slow to gain traction. I don’t believe that it really has anything to do with the jokes being behind it’s time like you said. The jokes could be hit or miss at some points and definitely don’t only look at the popular page! Just stay on for a few more days and I’m sure you’ll start to find some people that you’ll enjoy watching. I recommend reading this topic where Dom explains why the engagement is low:
https://community.byte.co/t/engagement-megathread/49519/2

9 Likes

Sounds like a you problem, honestly. Apps like these are what you make of them. There’s a ton of great content on Byte, you just have to be willing to curtail it to your taste in humor.

7 Likes

Yeah I definitely get the app has only been out a few months and popularity takes time to grow, but right now I haven’t seen any fan engagement, only creator engagement. Everyone on here is a creator and not a viewer, everyone’s posts always has the same people (other creators) like and comment every time. It’s a problem there’s no legit viewers.

5 Likes

I’m also new. I signed up 3 months ago but haven’t been using the app till yesterday, when I made my first “real” byte (I had made one when I signed up but it was kinda random).
My advice would be to find creators that you like, and that could take a bit of digging. Then you also have to bear in mind that this app is soooo young and will hopefully get better and better over time.

4 Likes

How are creators not legitimate viewers? We are still content consumers.

3 Likes

Not really a me problem if nobody is on this app as a viewer. I can just go somewhere else to view content. You’re the creator trying to “make it big” on this platform, you should be worried if people aren’t happy here.

4 Likes

Don’t assume what I’m on Byte for.

4 Likes

I get that but the app isn’t “finished” and new features are being developed so that the number of member retention increases. I wouldn’t say that everyone is a creator. Although, I do feel like a good chunk are, I do believe some people are on the app to see it develop, prosper, and what not. I don’t think anyone should have “fan engagement” (unless you meant follower engagement cuz I know followers used to be called fans on tik tok) cuz we’re all new to this right now. I believe you just need to set your expectations a tad bit lower and just see what happens with this app! I believe most of us are here for fun and we’re just vibin :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

It’s very clear there’s a distinction between content creators and the viewers. YouTube has 50 million content creators and has 1.3 billion viewers. Yes as a creator you’re technically viewing other content but everyone knows what I mean when I use those terms.

1 Like

I don’t have a clue what your dumbass means actually.

2 Likes

What’s your account name? I wanna see something

1 Like

The issue is that there’s maybe a few hundred people on the app trying their best, but ultimately the app is very very new. Not everyone is going to be amazing and at a pro status right now. That’s okay! The more people who join, the “bad” will be pushed down while the good rise up. We just are not at this point yet.

I’m curious to know, as a viewer, what content you do want to see, and what brings you back if you dislike it so much? I’m not hating, I’m genuinely curious.

5 Likes

Lets take it easy were all friends here. We have to be a positive community yall. @Peter1 the app is pretty new. Simple as that. Give it time. We’ll be as big if not bigger than Tiktok one day. Remember they’re are categories on the app other than comedy. Take a look around.

1 Like

I’m a Cody Ko humor type of person, a lot of people are. I came back just to see how it was doing since it’s been a couple weeks of the partner program launch.

3 Likes

So you want to see Cody Ko?

Don’t get me wrong I love him too. I hope someday we have someone like him here, but I think even Cody ko wasn’t amazing at his start. I think people need to be a bit more patient with content and look at the potential rather than greatness at this time.

4 Likes

On a side note: I would really like to see Cody make some bytes. He would bring a lot of new users into the app if he started making some content.

He actually does have a byte! :slight_smile: So does Kurtis Conner, Danny Gonzalez and a few others. They made some videos at the very beginning, but stopped.

I’m with you on everything here. Some others have said already that the app is really new, and I think that definitely plays a part in it. But it’s also what you say: the app is mostly creators supporting each other because people don’t see good enough content to stick around and become fans. Finding good creators is harder than it should be, although there are some great creators around. There are just too many people focusingmore on boosting engagement through likebacks and followbacks while recycling jokes and acting styles that were popular back in 2014 vine, and still making it to the top of the categories.

Staff is aware of this, and they are trying to find ways to change it. Soon a dislike button will be introduced, hopefully to steer people in better directions. Hopefully they keep tinkering with the algorithm. They still have a secret “massive change” they will roll out. They are trying to push better content, to improve audience retention…

6 Likes

Half the app is based on Loud = Funny comedy. The other half is copying Vine trends that were funny 6 years ago. And everyone has their creator groups where they push this to the top. Definitely think the dislike button will help, but there needs to be more viewers that aren’t creators on the app for it to clean up the content issue. There needs to be a neutral viewer deciding what should get popular, not you and your friends supporting each others unfunny stuff

4 Likes