Music Copyrights

Yes it’s weird how it works

I did tho… I’m an artist…

2 Likes

Thinking about copyrights makes my head go confusion

I doubt it will be bad , because its only a few seconds long

30 seconds is the quota. So we good.

3 Likes

if we get a dmca takedown notice, we’re probably going to have to respond by taking down the content in most cases. we’re not big enough or well funded enough to push back on that, at least initially. we’ll try to do our best, though

33 Likes

As mentioned before, the minimum is 30 seconds in most cases. I don’t think it’s fair but I know it will be resolved in the future (Facebook still haven’t even managed to sort this out properly), However I think it should be compulsory to mention the track and the artist when using other people’s music. I could be a bit biased though…

1 Like

that’s good enough tbh

1 Like

maybe have a feature like musicall.y… i hate that app but when you watch a little short you get to see the name of whatever song is playing in the background

1 Like

in youtube i heard that 10 seconds or longer isnt fair use so i feel like vine shouldnt have any restrictions to what song you use as they are 6/7 seconds also, if you give credit to the original creator of the music is fundimentalas they can actually get either the recognition for them liking the song or the creator using the content can get the recognition they deserve for using the music dynamically to create their own content, long but useful

2 Likes

There could be a button on the video that, when clicked, reveals the name of the song(s) used and links to it on iTunes or YouTube? That way artists will be sourcing their material. I’m not sure how fair use falls into this, but perhaps that would placate musicians knowing they’re getting credit? @dom

3 Likes

I like the idea of a built-in song identifier, good one.

2 Likes

I’m in the broadcast journalism class at school, and we’ve contact lawyers about music copyrights, and as long as we don’t use over 30 seconds of it, we’re in the clear. I really hope this doesn’t become a big issue, especially if the videos on v2 are going to stay 6 seconds long.

2 Likes

Regrettably, there is no hard and fast rule that any duration of copyrighted audio is by default fair use - the 30 second limit thing is a popular myth. Duration can impact a ruling, but other factors include the substance of the material and the context in which it has been distributed. Some accurate background is here.

There is less likelihood of a hosting platform receiving a takedown notice for a shorter excerpt of audio, but conversely if the usage is within a platform of short-format videos and a prominent video with wide exposure includes an excerpt of the hook of a popular song, the likelihood may get higher.

Ultimately the best (but not always realistic) course to take is to try to obtain direct permission, and to provide attribution, since for many artists the exposure represents both an acknowledgment of their work and an opportunity for them to grow their audience.

4 Likes

I feel like it would be tough all around, despite the fact it was allowed in the old days of YouTube and Vine

ISSUE OF COPYRIGHT WOULD limit the ARTISTS So i guess V2 PLEASEPLEASE** DONT KEEP COPYRIGHT STRIKES

Having the freedom to use music, is a must…best bet is to use the system Flipagram uses, in its app software there’s a Shazam type recognition feature, which when you post with music it automatically overlays the info on your post & automatically giving credit to the artist & record label…but I think that by law, if you don’t exceed 10 seconds of copyrighted music, they can’t do anything, but play safe @dom do as Flipagram :+1:

2 Likes

I would like it to, that was my favorite part of Vine

What if you use a feature that is similar to spotify in that it recognizes the sound, and displays the song information in the caption or somewhere near the caption. Another add-on could be that the creator/artist can toggle a feature when posting that video that tells the app whether to search for a song or not that way a copyright violation would be the creators fault and not V2. (Taken from a post I made earlier forgetting there was already a topic like this)

1 Like

I’m so curious on this, as well… like will we be able to use music from our iTunes library because I have almost 400 songs and I’d love to be able to use atlas a few of them.