Music Copyrights

I think in the past music has been a vary fundamental part of why some Vines were so creative/successful. Compared to other platforms like Youtube, Vine seemed as though it was very lenient, or wasn’t necessarily concerned with copyright strikes when it came to music. In regards to V2, I was wondering will music copyrights be enforced more like Youtube, or would it be like Vine?

17 Likes

@dom We need to hear from you on this

4 Likes

I mean if I understand correctly, I don’t think the videos on v2 are long enough to really infringe on copyright laws so it shouldn’t be an issue. I may be wrong though but that’s what I think

21 Likes

I’m of split mind. Creators, when given the chance, use music in super fun ways and edits, however the musician should get awareness as well. Do you guys remember “Fancy” by Iggy Izalea making it’s hayday on Vine? Yeah I mean I just found the name of that song like a month ago (please don’t call me stupid:joy:) But I mean it is an interesting question for sure. And what about people who upload original music to the app, will they have exclusive rights to the music?

3 Likes

I believe if the song was made and copyrighted by the Oringinal Owner, it shall not be used for the reason being; we do not want to give V2 a hard time with working out all the kings and wrinkles. IF V2 were to have permission that would be great as well!

no copyrights, that wouldn’t be cool, artists didn’t really use vine

1 Like

Fair Use Clause protects a user from being in trouble when using licensed, copyrighted material. It’s 30 seconds worth of copy righted music that can be used without paying royalities.

11 Likes

I ran into this all the time since I do found footage. I would reach out to the content owners who always said that 6 seconds is fair use.

4 Likes

Yes it’s weird how it works

I did tho… I’m an artist…

2 Likes

Thinking about copyrights makes my head go confusion

I doubt it will be bad , because its only a few seconds long

30 seconds is the quota. So we good.

3 Likes

if we get a dmca takedown notice, we’re probably going to have to respond by taking down the content in most cases. we’re not big enough or well funded enough to push back on that, at least initially. we’ll try to do our best, though

33 Likes

As mentioned before, the minimum is 30 seconds in most cases. I don’t think it’s fair but I know it will be resolved in the future (Facebook still haven’t even managed to sort this out properly), However I think it should be compulsory to mention the track and the artist when using other people’s music. I could be a bit biased though…

1 Like

that’s good enough tbh

1 Like

maybe have a feature like musicall.y… i hate that app but when you watch a little short you get to see the name of whatever song is playing in the background

1 Like

in youtube i heard that 10 seconds or longer isnt fair use so i feel like vine shouldnt have any restrictions to what song you use as they are 6/7 seconds also, if you give credit to the original creator of the music is fundimentalas they can actually get either the recognition for them liking the song or the creator using the content can get the recognition they deserve for using the music dynamically to create their own content, long but useful

2 Likes

There could be a button on the video that, when clicked, reveals the name of the song(s) used and links to it on iTunes or YouTube? That way artists will be sourcing their material. I’m not sure how fair use falls into this, but perhaps that would placate musicians knowing they’re getting credit? @dom

3 Likes

I like the idea of a built-in song identifier, good one.

2 Likes