Monetization and verification

These are my ideas on monetization and verification badges. I’d like to start off by saying that I know that Dom has said he’d prefer another way of verification since it can be used as a bragging right, however here are my thoughts and opinions on these matters.

My ideas for monetization were:

1. Do it like how instagram does it. Advertisements between a certain number of posts. I hear a lot of people complaining about this but honestly, it isn’t difficult to swipe past one post. The creators won’t earn money off of the videos, however they will do what thousands of instagram models do - brand deals.

2. Advertisements set by creators through v2. What this means is, v2 will have a variety of companies ready to advertise on their platform. Verified artists will sign up for monetization. Once they pass the sign-up stage, their profile will be put into some kind of digital list. From the list, advertisers can choose which artist’s page they want their advertisements to feature on. Doing this will prevent an adpocalypse since advertisers are choosing who they want to put their ads on. The company will also be able to decide how much money they’d like to give the creator for each click/view of the ad. Once an artist is chosen by a certain company, they will be able to accept or decline the offer based the amount of money the ad will give the creator. If they accept, their name will be taken off of the digital list, and that companies ads will start appearing between that user’s videos on their profile. If the user/creator declines the offer, their name will be put back into the digital list, where another company can choose them.

Pros of the second idea:

Impossible for an adpocalypse to happen. Advertisers will be able to view the creator’s content before they choose them. And other companies won’t pull out since their ads aren’t being displayed on that creator’s profile (if they do anything adpocalypse-worthy).

Reduces spam accounts. Since you’d need to be verified, spam accounts won’t be making any money whatsoever.

More money for bigger, more hard-working creators. If people like it or not, the big creators are the most important. They are used as a trademark for the app. Using the second idea, big creators will always be able to have ads on their profile (limited ads). If you could get monetization straight away, then a bunch of spam accounts with 5 followers will be making 5 cents a year, and the bigger creators will be making like $50 (because of the limited ads), whereas the big creators could be making thousands of dollars. Long story short, if big creators see that they aren’t getting monetized due to the limited ads, and they see that spam accounts have ads on them, they will move over to another platform that can pretty much guarantee them constant ads, like youtube.

My ideas for verification:

Creators are hand-picked by people that work for v2 to become verified. To prevent bias verifications, it will need to go through multiple people. If you read my monetization idea above, these two ideas link perfectly (You’d need to be verified in order to get advertisements on your profile).

First of all, I believe that to prevent spam emails, there should be a feature of verified users of the app to submit a support ticket. This creates much better communication between the creators and the app than the forum does. Having it set to only verified creators being able to send support tickets means there will pretty much be no spam and no ‘silly’ emails being sent. (By the way, for verification, I don’t mean a 12 year old would get verified for having one popular video. For example, a few people that were on vine that would’ve been verified would be Lele Pons, King Bach, Destorm power, Logan Paul, Summerella, Daz Black, etc…).

Secondly, Although having a verified badge could be a bragging right, I think it is necessary. Having a tick or some sort of verification badge allows for people to easily find the artist’s page, and it also allows the artist’s page to be a lot more professional. If I’m searching for a popular v2 artist, I don’t want to have to keep guessing out of a list of 15 accounts, which the real person is, just because the spam accounts have the exact same profile picture, exact same bio, etc… Being able to see a verification symbol when I search an artist’s name would be 10x easier. Besides, personally I’ve never seen anyone brag about being verified. I’m pretty sure most people THINK that others will brag, however that is why verification would need to go through multiple people, to ensure that the right artist is getting verified, rather than giving it to random people.

11 Likes

I saw your thoughts on monetization in a thread, but I’m glad you put them here with your verification thoughts too, and I completely agree with you.

2 Likes

I don’t think that we should be earning off v2 as soon as the app launches. I think Dom should wait for a year or so and then allow sponsors to contact the v2ers.

3 Likes

The second idea is something that’s already done much simpler in the original vine with viners getting sponsored privately.

There’s gonna have to be some type of monetization or payout for creators on the app, that’s one of the reasons the first one fell off. Not sure if anyone’s gonna wanna wait a year if they’re gonna try and make a living off of it.

5 Likes

It wouldn’t be good to only allow one company to place ads on a v2ers page. That’d be very limiting and a deterrent for advertisers, as that’d be a much closer link to the creators than they’d like. That’s honestly more like a sponsorship than an ad. Plus, this list would make sure that more recognized names got more attention, leaving the rest behind. The most important people on a platform are not the one who get the most attention, but the ones who give it. It’s the community that matters the most. The big v2ers will be a part of that community, and not separate from it. It is foolish to value them over the rest of the users/creators, and that’s why we had people like the Paul brothers at the very top. Self-important jerks who’s egos we’re constantly fed not only by their fans, but the way the app operated itself.

2 Likes

True, maybe not wait a few year but a few months because we need to get our content out on the app so the sponsors know who they’re sponsoring and what type of videos they put out.

1 Like

I think monitization would be best handled through an Artist or Creator program that members would to apply to and be accepted into.

I don’t think that having companies choose what posts to put ads on would work in the real world although it seems great in theory. I think that having hand chosen verification would be great to mitigate the whole Adpocalypse sort of thing. I also think that there should be a follower / view requirement to apply for these programs.

Slightly salty I posted something about monitization two minutes after you by accident lol.

6 Likes

The monetization ideas seem pretty solid, I’m all for artists selecting the brands they want represented on their profile. Just to prevent “enemy” companies/sponsors posting ads without consent on a certain persons profile. For instance you wouldn’t see a Pepsi and a Coke advertisement on the same profile, but just the one the creator selects.

I’ll edit later with more thought, as I’m at work.

The top creators should get special treatment. Whenever people talked about vine, there were certain names that were always brought up in conversations (king bach, lelepons, amanda cerny, etc…). As a company it is important that they show the very top creators special treatment. Now I’m not saying they should post all of their videos on the trending page or anything, but they for sure shouldn’t be treated like an ‘ordinary’ user. Those top creators are the ones bringing lots of traffic. If the people handling the creators was smart, they’d know that they should prioritise someone who gets 20million loops a video over someone that gets 300 loops. Two people (jake and logan paul) acting stupid doesn’t define the entire app.

Also, I agree, the community does matter the most, however without those top creators there wouldn’t be a community. Those top creators bring people back day after day. Those top creators get asked to go onto the news where they shine light on the app and bring in more customers.

Also, if someone is a top creator, chances are they’re more than likely to make it their full time job. If social media is someone’s full time job, their videos are more likely to be better than someone who is constantly working a 9-5 job. They are likely to have much higher production value. And they are more than likely to bring in more overall revenue. If v2 ever does a meet and greet, who will bring in more people? Someone with 10 million followers that posts everyday and is getting paid from it so they can make it their full time job, or someone will 200 followers that uploads once every 3-4 weeks.

Long story short, the biggest creators on the platform are the most important. Look at every video-posting social media platform. Youtube, vine, musical.ly, etc… they all have those select few people that are a trademark for the app. You hear ‘Baby Ariel’, you instantly think of musical.ly. You hear of ‘King Bach’, you instantly think of vine. You hear of ‘KSI’, you instantly think of Youtube.

Those top creators are incredibly important to be the face of a video-sharing platform.

3 Likes

This. Except we need multiple company advertisers. Not just one per page.

i personally don’t think i will be monetizing my V2 page, but i love this idea.

I think you have some really great ideas here!

Your ideas for monetisation draw from Youtube - which is tried and tested and proven to work, so I think it could work for V2 as well.

The ability to choose to monetise your page/videos is also great incentive for content creators (not that that should be the sole reason people are creating, but the app is going to want to draw in creators who are serious in building themselves a career from V2. It works in favour of both artists and app)

I also agree that verification is necessary! This will help stop spam accounts who grow via impersonation.
Yes verification will lend to bragging rights, but people will always find something to brag about - follower counts, re-vine numbers, views, general popularity, etc. I think verification is important for protecting V2’s artists.

1 Like

Great Idea. Is it similar to Instagram’s “paid partnership with” below the profile’s name?

Like the one below ? 48%20AM

Not entirely. Those ads will only show on the creator’s profile between a set number of posts. So if I have created 200 videos, an ad will show up like a post between each 15 posts. Kind of like how instagram has ads on the homepage between a certain amount of posts.

Great Idea. But what happens after the ad campaign is over? Or what if an Artist’s name is never picked?

I agree! A combination of YouTube and Instagram’s ad platforms would be best!
• Pay-per-Loop for artists with a certain amount of followers and good community engagement like YouTube
• Suggested ads every few vines, not chosen by artists but through Adsense/cookie types of algorithms like Insta
• And artists can be able to create their own sponsorship deals separate from V2
It’s good for the artists, but can also create revenue for V2, something that Twitter struggled to do with Vine

1 Like

Good ideas you have. I’d be down if they were implemented (at least implemented to a degree).

I have wrote about this a month ago.

There’s also another link here Monetization SUPERTHREAD