Mature videos vs. mature accounts

I like the idea of having a restricted mode so that parents don’t freak out and don’t have to be afraid of their children hearing naughty big-boy language. It’s good for the parents, it’s good for the kids, yadda yadda. With a restricted mode, there wouldn’t have to be age restriction for using the app (which plenty of little kids would find a way around anyway), just an optional restriction for seeing certain content.

However, what would a mature mode/restricted mode feature entail for an artist that uses profane language and themes? Would the artist have to tag their entire account as mature if a few of their videos use mature themes/language, or would they have the option to just mark those individual videos as mature?

I recommend that artists have the option to tag their individual videos as restricted. That way, kids and people who choose to see only family-friendly content can still see the creator’s other videos that aren’t restricted. If the whole account is restricted, audiences could miss out on some really good stuff. Any word on what the developers are planning on doing when it comes to restricted mode/content?

4 Likes

Similar to this thread?

• Artists should be able to rank their video from friendly to inappropriately if possible
3 Likes

Similar (kiiiiinda) to that thread I guess, but I’m just wondering how mature things would be tagged as mature. Would artists have to censor their entire account from users on restricted mode, or could artists just censor each mature video on their account so their clean videos would still be seen by all users?

Interesting. Their clean videos should be showed in my opinion.

Having content tagged on a video by video basis would be a lot more convenient than tagging a whole account as mature, so that younger users can still enjoy their more appropriate videos without disabling safe mode. Though, users that only post child-innapropriate content should have an option to mark their whole profile as mature, so they don’t have to manually mark each video.

2 Likes

@Zoebe4 Oo I like it! Having both options is good. Unrelated but I also think maybe a private/public account feature like Instagram has would be good to implement too and work in a similar way. Not to prevent children from seeing your posts, but to prevent randos from seeing your posts if an artist just wants to share content with their close friends only.

1 Like

This is a great idea. No other platforms that I personally use offer much for protecting kids. With parents growing concern over what their children are doing on the internet, this is one way to let them still be involved :smiley:

1 Like

This is a great idea!

1 Like

Interesting, I would be for this, cause I know some of my content may have profanity in it. And I don’t want to be the person whose corrupting the younger people

3 Likes

the younger people are already corrupted

2 Likes

Omg, I’m crying :joy::joy::joy:

What stops a kid from making a false birth date. I remember a lot of vines of very young kids cussing in their posts. Language in a video isn’t a that big of a deal (unless there are very young kids), I’d focus more on other inappropriate content that would be posted like - towards the end of Vine there was a lot of 18+ adult content being posted.

3 Likes

Vine 1 already had the ability to flag a video as “mature,” but it wasn’t hidden completely, it just didn’t autoplay and required a tap to play it. That works well, but the new Vine should have a “family friendly” account setting that will completely hide vines that are for adults only.

2 Likes

Yeah, age restrictions aren’t going to stop kids from lying. But the best way to keep 1) parents from freaking out about the content their child sees, and 2) people from being upset that there isn’t any swearing allowed on the site, is to implement a restriction mode.

Kids can still lie, but it will bring everyone more comfort if they feel like there is an option to protect their children without removing all “naughty” content like swearing or offensive jokes from the site. Edgy, colorful creators will be happy, and wholesome family-oriented users will be happy.

1 Like