Massive data usage

Someone on reddit said that uploading and scrolling on byte takes a lot of data than other apps.

5 Likes

They say, it takes a Byte out of your data…sorry, i’ll show myself out

9 Likes

And it’s not like there isn’t an easy fix they could roll out anytime, I assume

Edit: ooosie, turns out that, indeed, we already have this on Android

5 Likes

please do

2 Likes

nah jk lmao

2 Likes

that’s one if the greatest puns ever

2 Likes

bytes are typically 1.5 - 2.5MB and our server doesn’t allow 22MB files, so something doesn’t line up in that post. if a 22MB video file is truly being uploaded then that is a bug and should be reported

the 250MB figure makes sense if you’re viewing 100-120 videos over the course of a session. we do have lower bitrate versions that you can automatically view or force to view on android. iOS doesn’t support these yet but i just added a ticket for us to implement this :memo:

16 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Thank you my good man

Heyo, I’m OP from that reddit thread.

Unfortunately I’m still having issues and I’m not crazy it seems. Check out the link I posted in a new comment in that reddit thread. When I open the app and press Share on the first video, the iOS share sheet shows me that the video is indeed 25~ MB.

I even tested this by clearing my cache, watching my LTE usage in Settings for Byte, then opening the app and letting one video load. Indeed, my data rose my around 20 MB.

Here’s the screenshot of the share sheet.

2 Likes

Yeah i got the same thing when i just checked. Maybe since it loops the video 3 times? Idk

I just checked and you seem to be right. However this still doesn’t add up to the claims of 1.5 - 2.5 MB per video. If the video loops 3 times, it should be between 4.5 - 7.5 MB after export; not 20 - 25 MB.

2 Likes